Volunteer Child Advocate Opportunity
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: The Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights
The Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights is a non-profit organization whose mission is to advocate for the rights of unaccompanied immigrant children. The Young Center provides Volunteer Child Advocates (guardians ad litem) for trafficking victims and unaccompanied immigrant children. These advocates are adults who volunteer to spend time with, and advocate on behalf of, an individual unaccompanied immigrant child while they are in federal custody and subject to immigration proceedings. Individuals from all cultures, professions, races, ethnicities, and social backgrounds are welcome to become Volunteer Child Advocates.
Once assigned to an individual child, each Volunteer Child Advocate receives continued training, support, and supervision from the Young Center. Currently, the NY Young Center office is in need of Spanish, Mam, K'iche', Kekchi, or Chuj speaking volunteers who are available to conduct in person weekly visits for one hour as a Volunteer Child Advocate.
In order to become a Volunteer Child Advocate, individuals must;
- Be 21+ years of age.
- Be fluent or highly proficient in Spanish, Mam, K'iche', Kekchi, or Chuj.
- Be able to travel to at least one of the facilities served by the Young Center in Westchester County, Harlem, and the Bronx.
- Attend a two-day in person training on February 11th and 12th, 2023.
- Be able to clear a federal background check.
- Provide proof of a negative tuberculosis test within the past 12 months and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter a detention facility.
- Must be willing to commit approximately one hour per week to visit with an unaccompanied child.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Yonkers, NY 60616
December 8, 2022
- Public Advocacy