Volunteer at the Legal Hand Call-In Center serving Westchester County! (Virtual Opportunity)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Legal Hand
At the Legal Hand Call-In Center serving Westchester County, trained community volunteers, who are not lawyers, provide free information, assistance and referrals to help low-income members of the community resolve issues that affect their lives and prevent problems from turning into legal actions. Services are provided to those who contact the Legal Hand Call-in Center, referred to as "Visitors," virtually by phone, text, email, or chat, and we can also meet with Visitors by video. All are welcome and there are no eligibility requirements. All are assisted regardless of income, immigration status, and residence. No appointments are required and we are open, in addition to weekday hours, on evenings and weekends.
Volunteers play an important role in Legal Hand's mission to increase access to justice in low-income communities by directing people to effective resources and ensuring they know their rights in a given situation. Volunteersprovide legal information, assistance, and referrals through Legal Hand’s online comprehensive database of legal information and community resources, called the Legal Hand Helper. Volunteers do not provide legal advice. Volunteers are provided with training and supervision and learn valuable legal information and advocacy skills. Legal Hand Volunteers come from all backgrounds and walks of life-- from college students to retirees, and no experience in legal work is necessary. Volunteers are provided with a laptop and headset for the time they volunteer.
Legal Hand Call-In Center Volunteers:
- With the support of staff, assist Visitors by completing online forms, providing information about various government benefits, making advocacy calls and helping to navigate systems and processes.
- Track Visitor information in the computer database consistently and accurately.
Volunteers must be 18 or older and:
- Complete three weeks of training (approximately 3 hours per week) in a variety of issue areas, including housing, family law, immigration, domestic violence and public benefits;
- Attend five 2-hour live Simulations to learn and practice the virtual platform;
- Commit to a minimum of 3 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months;
- Have a desire to help members of the community resolve their problems;
- Speak fluent English; ability to speak a second language a plus but not required;
- Must be computer literate.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
78 North BroadwayWhite Plains, NY 10603
January 21, 2023
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK