Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Catholic Charities Hawaii
Phone-A-Friend volunteers provide telephone social support and wellness checks for homebound, low-income seniors. Volunteers are assigned to one or more homebound seniors and make calls on a regularly scheduled basis.
Volunteers are responsible for:
- contacting their assigned senior(s) on the mutually- agreed upon schedule to make sure that the senior(s) are able to answer the phone; and/or
- providing telephonic social support to reduce loneliness.
The program helps seniors maintain their independence and ability to live at home and reduces social isolation and loneliness.
- Some experience relating with older persons on a formal or informal basis.
- Able to communicate clearly over the phone.
- Appreciates and enjoys working with seniors who are homebound, often lonely, and may have multiple communication challenges (e.g., hard of hearing, limited English, etc.).
- Is responsible and reliable to ensure that calls are made as scheduled in order to ensure safety of senior(s).
- Able to maintain relationship and ethical boundaries as prescribed by program.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of the clients’ situation.
- Able to communicate positively with seniors, consistently projecting an open, warm and caring posture. Is friendly, patient, a great listener, and has a good sense of humor.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and flexibility, and a non-judgmental attitude.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and exercise sound judgment and discretion when working with others.
- Bilingual ability helpful but not required.
SCHEDULE & TIME COMMITMENT:
- Services are available 7 days a week. The schedule is based on the senior's preference and the volunteer's availability. Volunteers are matched with seniors based on language, their availability, and commonalities.
- Although calls usually last 15 to 60 minutes, volunteers are asked to block a 2-hour window of time to allow for wellness and safety checks, when needed.
- Time Commitment: Minimum Time Commitment is one (1) year.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1822 Ke’eaumoku StreetCommunity & Senior Services DivisionHonolulu, HI 96822
November 29, 2022