Boston By Foot Board Member
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Boston By Foot, Inc.
Boston By Foot is seeking individuals who have a love for the city of Boston and an interest in history, education and exploration to join a diverse and collegial board.
About Our Organization
Boston By Foot, Inc. is an educational nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring locals and visitors to discover and appreciate the diverse stories of Boston by exploring the cityscape on guided walking tours presented by volunteer tour guides.
We envision a city whose residents and visitors have a deep understanding and appreciation of the city’s complex and diverse history, geography, and communities.
We inspire locals and visitors to discover and appreciate the diverse stories of Boston by exploring the cityscape together.
- Appreciation for Boston: We work to create tours that help visitors and residents alike discover or deepen their appreciation for our multi-layered city.
- Education: We are lifelong learners; committed to sharing thoughtful storytelling through the exploration of our city’s past and present.
- Quality: We are dedicated to rigorous and thorough research that creates meaningful, engaging, and entertaining experiences.
- Curiosity: We seek to uncover untold stories, encourage new perspectives about the city of Boston, and ignite continued exploration.
About the Role
Boston By Foot, Inc. seeks experienced and enthusiastic individuals to join its volunteer Board of Trustees. Board members play an active, hands-on role in guiding the non-profit’s strategic plan, governance and ongoing stewardship.
- Review and approve major organizational decisions, commitments, and plans including, but not limited to, expenditures, investments, and leases
- Review and approve annual budget
- Evaluate progress toward program and financial goals
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, provide leadership on organizational transition, structure and strategic planning
- Assist with board development, transition, and effectiveness
- Support and assist with outreach strategies including fundraising and strategic partnerships with foundations, corporations, individuals and community organizations
- Make a significant, personal financial contribution
- Serve on board committees or task forces and offer to take on special assignments
Length of board service:
Three years, which may be renewed at the end of three and six years for an additional three-year term at the mutual agreement of the board and the individual.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of trustees meets six times a year. Four or five meetings are virtual 90 minute meetings; one or two are in person half-day retreats.
- Committees of the board meet an average of five times per year, this fluctuates depending on timeframe and scope of project.
- Board members are asked to attend at least one public tour and one volunteer event each year.
- Trustees are encouraged to participate in and promote attendance of Boston By Foot tours and special events.
The members of Boston By Foot’s Board of Trustees bring different backgrounds, skills and perspectives to the table. The organization is seeking individuals who have a deep passion for Boston and its neighborhoods and can bring experience in one or more of the following areas: development and fundraising, finance, law, data analysis, architecture/city planning or community engagement. Previous roles in leadership or non-profit board service is a plus.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
87 Mount Vernon StreetBoston, MA 02108
November 29, 2022
- Human Resources Diversity
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH