Children's Literacy Project Coordinator at a Peruvian NGO
ORGANIZATION: Otra Cosa Network
Please visit the new page to apply.
The HELP Literacy Coordinator is one of the four Project Coordinator Roles available at OCN. Your role as HELP Literacy Coordinator is to plan a curriculum and weekly two-hour class for the children at the Recreational Centre (The REC) in Cerrito de la Virgen. The classes are focused on improving Spanish reading and writing skills, to support kids outside of their school education. You will be in charge of delivering the classes, as well as briefing and leading a team of supporting volunteers.
As a hands-on role, this position involves much more exposure to the Spanish language than some of our office roles, so it would be a great opportunity for Spanish-speaking volunteers or those looking to improve their Spanish language skills.
Running the HELP Literacy project only requires a few hours a week, so, for the rest of your time, you will act as a multi-project volunteer. This will give you the chance to work on various other projects within the OCN portfolio to top up your hours to around 25 hours/week. Potential activities include: HELP English; HELP Youth; HELP Environment; HELP Women; Global Glow (girls' education and empowerment); REC homework support sessions; English classes at the library; English classes at the American School in Trujillo; English classes at María del Socorro primary school; helping out at Huanchaquito dog shelter; playground renovation at Casita de Madera pre-school; assisting with taking inventory at the library.
This position is a fantastic opportunity for individuals who want to work with children while also gaining an insight into the world of NGOs. Also, living in Huanchaco, a small surf town not far from the city of Trujillo, will give you the chance to immerse yourself in another culture and meet lots of new people.
For students, all volunteer positions are available as internships, which is ideal for students looking to complete a year in industry/placement abroad. In this case, you will receive an extra level of mentorship and all appropriate communication with your academic institution to ensure compliance with internship placement requirements.
- Plan and update the HELP Literacy curriculum
- Deliver Spanish literacy lessons to the children at the REC
- Maintain and update all material related to the HELP Literacy program
- Be creative in coming up with new ideas and policies to improve the program
- Participate in weekly REC meetings with the other Project Coordinators and REC Coordinator/Program Manager
What you can expect from us:
- Personal pick-up upon arriving and walking tour through Huanchaco
- A thorough introduction to the organization
- Certified training in First Aid and Child Safeguarding. 24/7 emergency support
- Organized activities (barbeques, game nights, volunteer lunch etc.)
- Help with organising accommodation for your time in Huanchaco
- Certificate of completion detailing your role, the project(s) you participated in and the dates you volunteered in.
- If you want to improve your Spanish, we can arrange Spanish classes for you in advance (by Skype) or during your stay.
A typical day:
The OCN recreational centre (REC) opens from Monday-Wednesday and on Fridays, from 3-5pm. Each day is designated to a different project, with HELP Literacy taking place on a Friday. You will be expected to plan/update the curriculum and lesson plans each week, which you can do during normal office hours (9am-5pm).
Before each Literacy class, you will meet with a team of supporting volunteers at the OCN volunteer house to brief them on your lesson plan for the day, delegate roles, and answer any questions. You will then get a mototaxi to the REC together and lead the class. Although the REC is open from 3-5, some of this time is for the kids to play and socialise, so you will not be expected to plan/lead a two-hour lesson. You will have plenty of opportunities to play and interact with the children we help and create a bond of trust with them.
Each week, there is also a REC meeting hosted at the volunteer house by a member of our management staff, in which HELP project coordinators and volunteers discuss general issues for the REC, such as discipline and attendance, routines, maintenance etc.
Every Monday morning, you will attend a general OCN meeting at the volunteer house to discuss any relevant updates and activities for the week, contribute ideas and feedback, and plan out the activity schedule for the week.
On other 'free' weekdays, you will act as a regular multi-project volunteer, with the opportunity to participate in a selection of other projects (as listed in the responsibilities section).
Applications and enquiries:
Please visit our website for more information: www.otracosa.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
About Otra Cosa Network
Las Camelias 431, Huanchaco, Non-US 130000, PE
Promote education and social development in our local communities.
Otra Cosa Network is a registered Peruvian non-profit NGO (no. 11126841) and a UK Registered Charity (no. 1133680) based in Huanchaco on the coast of Northern Peru.
Otra Cosa Network runs five of our own projects, which are all part of the Huanchaco Education and Learning Programme (HELP). HELP is dedicated to advancing the education possibilities and resources for those living in lower-income communities in and around Huanchaco. Alongside this, we support several partner organisations in the area, as well as in two remote locations in northern Peru.
Las Camelias 431Huanchaco, La Libertad 13000Peru
August 20, 2023
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Child Care
- Reading / Writing
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum 2 months. Total 25 hours per week, Mon-Fri: 5-10 hours in this lead role, in addition to 15-20 hours spent on other activities. Long-term volunteers are preferred.
- Minimum higher intermediate Spanish. Experience of teaching or working with children desirable. Leadership skills Ability to cope with active children Flexible, responsible and open-minded personality