4 people are interested
Best Buddies Berea Citizens Membership
ORGANIZATION: Best Buddies Kentucky
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
Best Buddies Citizens creates one-to-one friendships between adults with and without intellectual or developmental disabilities (IDD) in workplaces and in the community. These opportunities for friendship and inclusion are especially important for adults with IDD, who often have limited opportunities for social
connections as they age. Individuals with IDD have been disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 crisis and its social and economic consequences.
Through these efforts, the Best Buddies Citizens program strives to build a community where everyone is valued and feels a sense of belonging.
- By spending time with one another, the lives of both individuals are enhanced through a mutually enriching friendship
- Everyone involved with the program learns to see the world from a brand new perspective, becoming more understanding, patient and accepting of others
- Regular in-person and virtual group events
- Best Buddies annual survey results indicate that the majority of participants in the program feel less isolated and experience improved mental health and a better quality of life as a result of their involvement.
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Can be within 30 minutes of Berea, KY (if outside of Berea, connect with us about bringing Citizens to your area!)
- Have a genuine interest in forming a new friendship
- Connect with Best Buddies staff to determine if the Citizens program is the right fit for you
- Submit a membership application at www.bestbuddies.org/join
- Complete a background screening
- Required for individuals with and without disabilities
- All participants must have cleared background screenings in order to be matched or attend Best Buddies Citizens Program events.
- There is a fee for the background check, though fee assistance is available in some markets
- Complete an interview with the Best Buddies staff
- The program attempts to match individuals who:
- Are within the same age range
- Share common interests
- Live or work in close proximity to each other
A Best Buddies friendship is like any other!
- Aside from the fee associated with the background screening (fee assistance available in some markets), there is no cost for this program
- Each person is responsible for paying their own way for outings. Keep in mind that there are many activities and events that you can enjoy together at no cost at all
About Best Buddies Kentucky
3044 Bardstown Rd., #1274, Louisville, KY 40205, US
Our mission is to establish a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
In Kentucky, we are currently helping people with IDD in elementary, middle, high school, and college chapters across the state. We have 46 chapters, ranging from the University of Louisville to Western Kentucky University to Centre College, and we are creating social inclusion opportunities for hundreds of students!
Multiple locations Berea, KY 40403
November 14, 2023
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Participants commit to at least one year of friendship, to get together in person with their buddy for a minimum of four hours per month, and maintain weekly contact (phone, email, social media, etc.).
- Have a genuine interest in forming a new friendship and complete a background screening at around $18 - fee assistance often available. Required for individuals with and without IDD.