PAID OPPORTUNITY - Community Partnerships AmeriCorps VISTA Leader
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Honey W. Nashman Center for Civic Engagement & Public Service
The George Washington University and DC Public Schools AmeriCorps VISTA Program seeks a dynamic VISTA leader for a program that assists in developing community partnerships and family engagement strategies in urban K-12 schools.
A Person applying for this position must have completed at least 1 year of full-time AmeriCorps or Peace Corps Service.
George Washington University (GW), in downtown Washington DC, is seeking a VISTA Leader to provide support for VISTA Members and . The VISTA Leader will develop project activities and sources of community support to expand successful community partnerships and volunteer programs between public schools and community organizations. The VISTA Leader will support and liaise with the other VISTAs in the program, develop partner relationships, seek additional program resources, expand communications and information sharing, evaluate program efforts, and identify training and professional development opportunities for program stakeholders. The VISTA Leader will work for one year with GW and DCPS school staff and community members to build her/his education, community development, organizing, and communication skills. The VISTA Leader position is based at the Honey W. Nashman Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service at The George Washington University. This is a full-time (40hrs a week) 12 month service term with The George Washington University.
Key attributes a successful Community Partnerships VISTA Leader will need to perform successfully:
- Desire and ability to work effectively in multiple education environments (university, school district office, urban schools) and with multiple stakeholders, including GW staff, VISTAs, school and district administrators, and community members
- Ability to reach out to, lead, and provide support to VISTAs and other project stakeholders
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and achieve goals
- Adaptability, flexibility, and willingness to learn from experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Primary responsibilities the successful VISTA candidate will have to perform:
- Identify and assess current school and district partnerships and volunteer programs
- Recruit new community partners to address school and district needs
- Support fundraising and other resource development strategies to meet school needs
- Improve coordination of community partner resources and services with schools
- Coordinate monthly stakeholder meetings of program stakeholdersExpand communication about resources, programs, and events in school communities
- Train VISTAs and partners on effective volunteer management practices
- Help develop and disseminate evaluation tools for assessing community partnerships
- Record and disseminate best practices learned from experience
- Support other VISTAs in their recruitment, activities, troubleshooting, professional development, future planning, and reporting
Project Goals and Outcomes. It is projected that the following impacts will accrue from the program at the participating schools:
- Better understanding of existing school-community partnerships
- Strengthened existing school-community partnerships
- More school-community partnerships, volunteers, volunteer projects, volunteer hours
- More parent engagement and satisfaction with the school
- More school administrator and teacher satisfaction with partnerships and partner/local organization satisfaction with participating schools
- More financial, human, and in-kind resources as well as strengthened infrastructure to meet student needs
- Improved student outcomes
Special Skills and Knowledge the candidate should possess and/or be willing to acquire to meet the responsibilities, goals, and outcomes of this position:
- Knowledge and understanding of VISTA programs and structures
- Experience leading programs and staff
- Ability to work in an urban school environment
- Strategic planning
- Ability to initiate and build partnerships between school and community organizations
- Community organizing skills
- Experience development program assessments
For More Information:
- The Honey W. Nashman Center Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service at The George Washington University has a mission to integrate civic engagement into GW’s educational work. We focus GW’s resources to meet community needs beyond the campus, promote active citizenship in a diverse democracy, and enhance teaching, learning, and scholarship at GW. Go to http://serve.gwu.edufor more information.
- The District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) system encompasses approximately 48,000 students and 115 schools. The DCPS mission is to ensure that every DCPS school provides a world-class education that prepares all students, regardless of background or circumstance, for success in college, career and life. Go to dcps.gov for more information.
- For other questions, contact Charity Eddleman, Program Manager for School and Community Partnerships, Honey W. Nashman Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service, George Washington University, at 202-994-7981 or email@example.com
Terms of Service
VISTA must be 18 years old; be U.S. citizens, nationals, or legal residents; and successfully complete a criminal background check. VISTA is a full-time, 12-month commitment. They are expected to be on call at all times, but typically work a 40-hour week. Political advocacy, organizing or demonstrations while on VISTA duty, or while perceived to be on duty, are prohibited.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Washington, DC 20052
November 10, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME