FEAST Chair Board of Directors
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: FEAST
We are seeking an individual who has the knowledge and passion to serve as our new Chair of the Board. This person has nonprofit board or leadership experience, can lead our organization to the next level of development, and help FEAST expand its program impact across the nation, while also deepening our reach at home in South LA. All board members (an incredible group of diverse individuals with intersecting identities and strengths) offer their service on a volunteer basis. We also enjoy a lot of deliciousness and fun together! A detailed description of the role is provided below.
The perfect person for this role may be yourself, a friend, or a colleague who you think could be interested and qualified to represent our organization’s community based work. At FEAST, we value lived experience with food insecurity and the insights offered by people from historically marginalized groups and underserved communities. Individuals living at these intersections are especially encouraged to apply.
Please send all inquiries and applications to me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
I sincerely appreciate your help in our search.
Ave Lambert, Executive Director and President of the Board, FEAST
Chair of the Board of Directors Role Description
The Board Chair is the senior leader of the FEAST Board, responsible for guiding the vision and strategies required to successfully carry out FEAST’s mission. They are responsible for effectively managing, supporting and engaging the Board to support FEAST’s programs, fundraising, and operations. The position works closely and collaboratively with the Executive Director, who serves as the Board President, and with the Board of Directors. As an organization focused on health equity and food justice the Board chair will demonstrate a strong commitment to our cause and both reflect and amplify the voices of the communities we serve.
FEAST, a 501c3 organization based in Los Angeles, is seeking an experienced Executive Director to advance our mission with the support of a small, mighty, and collaborative staff, and a robust Board of Directors. FEAST’s mission is to promote health and wellness in under-served communities through the power of healthy foods and human connection. Our programs support individuals and families throughout South Los Angeles, LA County, and increasingly, in communities nationwide.
FEAST’s vision is to create a world where all individuals have equal access to the ingredients that support health and wellness. By combining Food Education, Access, and Support, Together, FEAST programs provide the ingredients individuals need to live sustainably healthier lives.
Board Chair Summary:
As a key leader of the Board of Directors, the Board Chair will demonstrate strong leadership skills, galvanizing its members to raise the funds required to support FEAST's mission. The ideal Board Chair is one that is able to guide FEAST towards growth, while representing the individuals we serve and maintaining the relationships we’ve built with partners, funders and donors in service of the integrity of our programs and mission. A clear understanding of, and commitment to, advancing food justice and health equity is essential.
In alignment with FEAST’s programmatic approach, the chair of the board is one that has a people-first approach to leadership based on highly developed emotional intelligence, relationship-building and communication skills. They will demonstrate the ability to inspire and galvanize others to work collaboratively, with an emphasis on building meaningful connections within our internal team and external stakeholders across sectors. They will have the interest and ability to engage individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences to achieve the organization’s goals, and expand our network of support. This role requires creativity, vision, and a diplomatic spirit, and provides the opportunity to think outside the confines of traditional nonprofit Board models, with a goal to build upon existing opportunities and increase FEAST’s impact in the years ahead.
- Leads a robust and diverse Board of Directors to support FEAST’s mission through effective meetings, project-focused subcommittees, fundraising initiatives, key events, and by supporting opportunities for community engagement.
- Is collaborative and complimentary with the Executive Director inspiring and supporting their co-leadership.
- Builds and deepens relationships with stakeholders across sectors, including community members, partner organizations, companies, donors, and individuals of influence in order to increase FEAST’s impact.
- Assists on acquiring diversified resources by helping to lead key events, building donor relationships, bringing appropriate grants, corporate sponsorships, partnerships and contracts to the staff’s attention.
- Serves as a spokesperson for FEAST, communicating FEAST’s mission and needs with the media, stakeholders and the general public.
- Provides executive oversight in alignment with all company policies, ensuring the integrity and efficiency of day-to-day operations of the nonprofit.
- Works with the Board, Internal Team and Stakeholders to guide the organization’s strategic and fundraising plans.
- Approves the organization’s annual budget with the Board of Directors and maintains fiscal oversight throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent lived experience. Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Public Health, Policy or related disciplines are a plus.
- Advanced degree a plus.
- 3+ years experience working on or with a Board of Directors. Board Leadership a plus!
- Minimum three years’ experience working with diverse and underserved populations.
- Experience supporting an Executive leader to meet and surpass organizational goals.
- Experience with budget preparation; experience managing budgets a plus.
- Experience successfully raising funds for a non-profit; experience with corporate and affluent donors a plus.
- Experience building relationships with external stakeholders and community partners.
- Ability to commit to a demanding leadership role and balance the priorities of the organization with one’s own priorities and projects.
- Experience maintaining positive working relationships with Board, staff, volunteers and external stakeholders.
- Experience with personnel supervision including recruiting, hiring, evaluating and terminating employees.
- Experience motivating and engaging community members and internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience as an effective and dynamic public speaker.
Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work in communities where diverse populations reside.
- Demonstrated and exceptional written communication skills.
- Proficiency in conversational Spanish a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding about food justice, health equity, and public health required.
- Knowledge of community resources preferred.
- Active listening and communication skills required.
- Ability to be available flexible hours when needed.
- Abilities as a visionary and strategic thinker.
- Ability to become a passionate communicator about FEAST mission and values.
- Ability to serve with integrity, exercise and model good judgment, and lead by example.
- Ability to both hold the executive accountable and support them when needed.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and any pertinent examples of work compiled into a single PDF.
Email to: email@example.com
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
3655 South Grand Avenue#210Los Angeles, CA 90007
October 25, 2022