43 people are interested
Habitat for Humanity NYC and Westchester: Site Leaders for our Community Preservation Program
Please visit the new page to apply.
43 people are interested
If you have interest, please contact Charles Frenkel, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 646-779-8857.
When you reply, please let us know the relevant experience you have for the position and also forward your resume.
Habitat NYC and Westchester is looking for Volunteer Site Leaders(or VSLs) who can manage a small group of volunteers (of up to five people) on our Community Preservation Program (CPP) sites as they go through their activities, to ensure that they are doing the work correctly and safely. CPP comprises the painting of community space (called A Brush with Kindness), landscaping, and minor repair work. Possible locations for CPP work this fall will be Brooklyn (Brownsville), Queens (Astoria, Corona), and Harlem.
We will likely not have any more construction activity until next year, but this is TBD. This year we did gut-and-rehab projects on future single-family homes in southeastern Queens (around Jamaica). A possible focus for next year may be the Bronx.
It is critical that you have experience with (or comfort with) managing small groups of people and excellent interpersonal skills.
Your main responsibilities as a Volunteer Site Leader will be to:
- Greet volunteers.
- Assist head Site Leader in the monitoring of volunteer activities.
- Assist in the organization of materials on-site.
- Assist in maintaining a safe and clean site.
- Monitor and ensure volunteers are equipped with proper protective gear including PPE.
- Since we rely on VSLs to help manage events, you must be certain that you can attend any events to which you commit.
For the Community Preservation Program (CPP):
- The hours are from 8 am to 3 pm.
- Help is needed throughout the month. We have volunteers from community groups and corporations coming out Monday through Friday every week, with occasional Saturdays. But our greatest need is during the weekdays.
- Comfort with the painting process, from taping and priming to applying the final coats, is a plus.
- Our projects typically occur in the first full week of each month (Monday - Friday), with some special builds at other times of the month.
- The hours are 8 am to 4 pm.
- Comfort with using common construction tools is desired.
- Tasks in 2023 included clearing and grubbing of the property, interior demolition, construction-fence building, laying sheetrock and installing insulation.
Your assistance will greatly help the volunteers have a fun, productive, safe, and meaningful day, and help Habitat ensure that the projects are completed with quality, and also on time and within budget.
COVID policy: All people participating in any in-person activities must have had their final dose of an FDA-authorized or WHO-listed COVID-19 vaccine and be prepared to provide proof of such.
If volunteers are not vaccinated:
- They are required to provide proof of a negative PCR/NAAT test administered within 72 hours, or antigen test within 6 hours, prior to in-person activities.
- Habitat NYC and Westchester will consider accommodation requests from individuals who are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccination due to either an underlying medical condition or sincerely held religious beliefs on a case-by-case basis in accordance with our policies as well as federal, state, and local laws. Supporting documentation may be requested.
All volunteers are advised to wear a face covering while on site (We encourage volunteers to bring their own face coverings, though masks will be provided for those who need them).
All volunteers are also advised to maintain a social distance of 6ft while on site (when 6ft is not possible, it's even more essential to wear a mask).
The site staff will refuse entry to or ask to leave anyone showing signs of being sick.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Habitat for Humanity New York City and Westchester County
111 John Street, Suite 770, New York, NY 10038, US
Habitat for Humanity New York City and Westchester County transforms lives and our city by uniting all New Yorkers around the cause of decent, affordable housing for everyone. Values Habitat for Humanity NYC and Westchester believes in: The importance of faith Diversity and inclusiveness, a respectful partnership between those who give and those who receive with mutual obligations, the volunteer spirit, home ownership, excellence in home construction, the volunteer experience, and the City of New York and Westchester. We express our love for our city through building homes and stating loudly and clearly that all New Yorkers should have a decent, affordable home.
Habitat for Humanity New York City and Westchester County creates, preserves, and advocates for healthy, affordable homes and the generational equity-building opportunities that homeownership provides. With the support of thousands of volunteers each year, we’re building a more equitable New York-to address centuries of unjust, racist housing laws and financing mechanisms that prevented communities of color from entering the homeownership market and shaped the geography of the wealth, health, and education inequality we see today.
Multiple locations New York, NY 10038
September 7, 2023
- Home Repair
- People Skills
- Must be at least 18
- Community painting is 8 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday throughout the month. Construction is 8 am to 4 pm the first full week of each month (Monday - Friday), with some special builds at other times of the month.
- This is a skilled volunteer position. Knowledge of painting is a plus. For construction, comfort using tools is necessary. Just as important is one's comfort with managing small groups, so communication skills are vital.