38 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: Humane Society of Sarasota County
Please visit the new page to apply.
38 people are interested
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Humane Society of Sarasota County. We rely on hundreds of volunteers, like you, every year to give the animals in our shelter the love and care they deserve while waiting for their furever home. Our Volunteers help as Canine Companion dog walkers. Please note you MUST complete our online volunteer application at HSSC.org to move forward with your volunteer application. From there, our Volunteer Manager will contact you about available shifts. Example of the job description:
Position: Dog Walker
Schedule: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays from 7am-5pm
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
The Humane Society of Sarasota County (HSSC) dog walkers assist with the daily needs of our shelter dogs and support our animal care team. Dog walkers provide daily walks and enrichment for all approved dogs as efficiently and safely as possible, and support the basic goal of "Every Dog, Every Day."
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to access shelter software to review animal’s profile including behavior and medical records.
- Review whiteboards for all alerts, updates, and medical information
- Walk dogs following the established walking path and have a full understanding of the dot system.
- Follow behavioral protocols as posted and ensure every dog has leash manners while on the walk.
- Utilize outdoor yard space for high energy dogs not identified as "leash-only."
- Alert staff immediately of urgent medical concerns
- Report non-emergent medical concerns on the medical board located near the covered play yards.
- Understand and follow proper emergency procedures in the event of an accident.
- Be willing and open to advocating for a long-term animal and completing any tasks assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must wear non-slip, closed toe shoes.
- Must be in good health and able to stand and bend for periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds or less.
- A physically demanding position that requires working around chemicals, and handling biological waste that may pose exposure risk to parasites and infectious diseases.
- Must be willing and able to perform all duties during the cleaning process and follow proper sanitation and disease prevention protocols.
- Must be able and willing to collaborate with staff and fellow volunteers.
- This volunteer role is labor-intensive; moderate exertion is required. Includes bending, pushing/pulling, walking, sitting, and working in conditions involving temperature fluctuations and noise.
07:00 AM to 09:00 AM
Right now, HSSC's greatest need is assistance in dog walking our canines Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 7am-9am.
- afternoon / 01:00 PM to 03:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Humane Society of Sarasota County
2331 15th Street, Sarasota, FL 34237, US
As the area’s premier no-kill shelter, HSSC engages the hearts, hands, and minds of the community to help animals.
Incorporated in 1952 as Sarasota’s first nonprofit animal welfare organization, the Humane Society of Sarasota County (HSSC) has grown to be the area’s premier no-kill shelter. A home is found for every adoptable pet n our care.
We take tremendous pride in being the area’s premier no-kill shelter, and with that comes the responsibility to lead by example. Our mission will always be focused on saving the lives of cats and dogs and enriching human lives along the way.
2331 15th StreetSarasota, FL 34237
November 15, 2023
- Animal Care / Handling
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Our Canine Companion volunteers are able to sign up for two hours dog walking shifts. HSSC's Volunteer Manager will contact new applications with shift availability.