- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Hurricane Relief? Can't Travel - Help here at home with a neighbor!
ORGANIZATION: Aging and Disability Services
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
You want to help, but not everyone can uproot to provide disaster aid to hurricane communities. And, sending money just doesn't seem personal enough. Today is the day to put your thoughts into action by being a storm buddy to a person who is blind and living in your community. It is only the start of hurricane season here in Connecticut and we need You to help right here, right now!
IN 2021 Hurricane Ida devastated Fairfield, New Haven and New London counties - we all remember the flooded roads and downed power lines. Thankfully with the warning systems in place we all stocked up with supplies in advance. Except me. I am legally or totally blind and do not drive.
Now imagine you are me; legally or totally blind... whom could you call for a ride to the grocery store for that loaf of bread or quart of milk? When the power went out and there was no heat, I was left home alone in a cold apartment with no heat and no one to call for a ride to a warming location or hurricane relief center. You know how lonely and scared I was.
NOW, now you can help me, I am your neighbor living just 5 to 7 miles away and I need help for storm season and the other seasons too! You can help me by taking me shopping, reading and sorting my mail, or a friendly visit or a chat to brighten my day. It takes hardly any effort to be my storm buddy!
Finally, you can help right here at home! and you can be sure it is a legitimate and vetted opportunity that happens on our mutually agreed schedule. It is so easy to help.
Requirements to be a great volunteer include:
- a desire to help others;
- a pleasant demeanor;
- a good reading/speaking voice;
- average reading skills;
- organizational or planning abilities;
- a good driving record;
- a clear criminal history;
- two references
- access to a car with proof of insurance;
- a minimum of $50/100k liability and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Aging and Disability Services
184 Windsor Avenue (Main Office), Volunteer Positions are in Most CT Towns, Windsor (Main Office), CT 06095, US
Maximizing opportunities for the independence and well-being of people with disabilities and older adults in Connecticut. Core Values INTEGRITY: We interact honestly and fairly with all others, adhering to strong ethics, values and principals. RESPECT: We value and recognize others for their unique skills, talents and contributions, and are considerate in all interactions. PROFESSIONALISM: We are mindful of our daily conduct and strive to have the highest work standards with a courteous attitude. OPEN COMMUNICATION: We encourage the sharing of information and knowledge in an accurate, honest and supportive way.
Aging and Disability Services: Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind
Welcome to the Department of Aging and Disability Services. Our programs, policies and practices are designed to:
- Deliver integrated aging and disability services responsive to the needs of Connecticut citizens;
- Provide leadership on aging and disability issues statewide;
- Provide and coordinate aging and disability programs and services in the areas of employment, education, independent living, accessibility and advocacy;
- Advocate for the rights of Connecticut residents with disabilities and older adults; and
- Serve as a resource on aging and disability issues at the state level.
The Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind enables its clients to become more self-sufficient and to maximize their participation in the community, at school and in employment settings. It is important to note that most people who are legally blind retain a significant degree of practical vision.
All CT TownsBerlin, CT 06037
January 29, 2024
- Safety & Disaster Education
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This is a very flexible opportunity - minimum of 4 hours per month, year round is highly desirable. You will set your own schedule with your neighbor.
- Must have patience, compassion, be understanding. Driving to grocery store requires proof of insurance coverage.