OwlSwap Program Assistant VISTA
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Kennesaw State University
What is AmeriCorps VISTA? AmeriCorps VISTA is a federal program that mobilizes volunteers in the spirit of service across the nation. As an AmeriCorps member in the VISTA program, you will support an organization to make sustainable change in areas that effect poverty, including education, public health, climate, access to benefits, and more. Through activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment, you will gain professional experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares you for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
About OwlSwap Closet: OwlSwap Closet is a resource that provides all KSU students, faculty, and staff with free access to professional attire for academic and employment opportunities as well as everyday clothing. Not only does it give everyone a chance to acquire new-to-you clothing, but it also encourages sustainable consumption.
Goal of the Overall VISTA Project: The VISTA member will coordinate all the clothing collection and donation services for OwlSwaps in partnership with more than a dozen departments and student groups on campus. The OwlSwap program will help move students out of poverty by supporting them to continue their education by providing free clothes and other necessary supplies. VISTA coordination will also support nonprofits serving local low-income communities including Hope Thru Soap (assisting low-income individuals and individuals facing homelessness) and re:loom (employing refugees and formerly homeless individuals who receive job training and learn skills by upcycling textiles and weaving them into new pieces like bags, rugs, etc.)
Objective of the Assignment: Expand the clothing closet service at Kennesaw State University. Develop donation management protocols and procedures. To grow and sustain OwlSwap program, VISTA members will develop and expand financial and in-kind resources.
- Support and expand OwlSwap’s aid to local non-profits helping individuals in the greater Atlanta area (e.g., Hope Thru Soap).
- Perform the recruiting, screening, interviewing and training of volunteers.
- Navigate KSU’s relationship with re:loom ( https://www.reloom.org/) by coordinating efforts on co-branded events, routinely meet to discuss/review/update on join projects, etc. Develop organizational policy and procedures.
- Coordinate OwlSwap clothing exchange on campus and other resource development efforts to ensure sustainability.
- Communicate with potential donors regarding items to be donated, as well as planned delivery of items. Exercise discretion regarding acceptance and/or disposition of donated goods and maintains donor relationship through attentive customer service. Facilitate logistics related to delivery of extra donations to other shelter sites or agencies.
- Develop marketing and funder information materials.
- Research, identify, and apply for grants and other funding to support OwlSwap’s current programming and expansion. Develop Legacy materials that capture the fundraising efforts of OwlSwap for sustainability.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
402 Bartow AvenueWillingham Hall, Room 130Kennesaw, GA 30144
September 27, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME