13 people are interested
Pomeroy Program Volunteer- Serving People With Disabilities
ORGANIZATION: Pomeroy Recreation & Rehabilitation Center
Please visit the new page to apply.
13 people are interested
Thank you for your interest in joining the volunteer program at Pomeroy!
- Do you offer both in-person and virtual opportunities?
- Our current opportunities are all in-person only.
- What do volunteers do?
- Program volunteers assist us in our many classes: art, drama, music, baking, trivia, games, swimming, current events, special holiday events, etc.
- Event volunteers help with decorating, room setups, guest check-ins, running activities, cooking, washing dishes, bussing tables/areas, and cleaning up
- Garden volunteers help with raking, sweeping, watering, and planting in the Pomeroy Garden.
- Facilities project volunteers help with painting, building, and repairing structures.
- How do I apply?
- Please fill out an application on our website (https://www.prrcsf.org/volunteer) and our Volunteer Manager will reach out to you during the next Onboarding Window. We typically onboard volunteers every 3 months. 2023 Onboarding Months: February, June, September, and October.
- Is there a minimum service requirement?
- Yes! Volunteers agree to serve at least 40 hours in their first year of service.
- Are there any volunteer annual dues or onboarding costs?
- For adults over 18 years of age, there is a one-time $40 cost for the background check
- Depending on your health coverage, there may be fees associated with obtaining a TB test from your doctor or a clinic
- Do I have to be vaccinated against COVID?
- Yes, all volunteers must be vaccinated
- When in person, do I have to wear a mask?
- No, only if you wish.
- What does the onboarding process look like?
- Fill out a volunteer application
- Attend an informational session/orientation on Zoom
- Fill out a few forms
- We’ll need a negative TB test
- If over 18, you will need to pass a background check ($40 cost to the volunteer)
- How often do you hold info sessions/orientations?
- We typically hold these every few months via Zoom.
- Next General Orientation: Mid-End Sept 2023
If interested, please fill out an application on our website (https://www.prrcsf.org/volunteer)
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Pomeroy Recreation & Rehabilitation Center
207 Skyline Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94132, US
The mission of the Pomeroy Recreation & Rehabilitation Center is to provide recreational, vocational and educational opportunities for people with disabilities through programs and services that encourage self-expression, promote personal achievement, and lead to greater independence.
Founded in 1952, the Center provides programs for nearly 400 children, teens, adults and seniors with developmental disabilities and for survivors of traumatic or acquired brain injury. Center facilities include a therapeutic swimming pool, gymnasium, adaptive computer lab, playground, theater with stage, and a community garden with greenhouse. For decades the Center has offered classes in the arts, computer literacy, health and wellness, socialization, and outings into the community.
Central to the legacy established by founder Janet Pomeroy is a commitment to inclusion and integration into the non-disabled community at large. To that end, the Herbst Pool's public swim classes and therapeutic swim hours allow for easy mixing of our clients with the public. Our community performance series brings artists to our main hall stage for public events, and our clients serve as hosts, welcoming attendees and working concessions. Clients participate in group volunteer opportunities in the community several days a week, providing home delivery of groceries through Meals on Wheels and the SF Marin Food Bank and supporting activities at St. Anthony’s. And on an individual basis, the Center provides employment training, job placement, and coaching, enabling interested clients to find their place as contributing members of the community.
We accept volunteers ages high school and up.
207 Skyline BoulevardSan Francisco, CA 94132
November 6, 2023
- Administrative Support
- Food Service
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 40 hours in your first 12 months of service. We have a self-scheduling shift calendar, with both short and long shifts for volunteers to choose from (Mon-Sat, approx 10am - 5:30pm)
- Adults 18+ require a background check. Everyone must have a negative TB test.