Pantry Outreach Coordinator VISTA
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Kennesaw State University
TO APPLY FOR THIS SERVICE OPPORTUNITY WITH THE AMERICORPS VISTA NETWORK AT KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY, PLEASE VISIT: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=114845. Applications submitted through Idealist are not eligible for consideration.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA? AmeriCorps VISTA is a federal program that mobilizes volunteers in the spirit of service across the nation. As an AmeriCorps member in the VISTA program, you will support an organization to make sustainable change in areas that effect poverty, including education, public health, climate, access to benefits, and more. Through activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment, you will gain professional experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares you for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
About CARE Services: CARE Services provides resources such as food, housing, emergency assistance, supplies, and social work support to students in need at Kennesaw State University.
Goal of the Overall VISTA Project: Be the greater good in your community! The primary goal of this position is to increase outreach and awareness related to the KSU CARE’s on-campus food pantries. The creation of a Kennesaw State University CARE Pantry VISTA position will allow the expansion of opportunities and resources available to low-income students as well as local nonprofits serving low-income communities. KSU’s VISTA network will ultimately reduce barriers to resources which will in turn decrease individuals experiencing poverty due to inability to access support.
Objective of the Assignment: In partnership with CARE Pantry staff, the VISTA will create policy and procedures for tabling events on campus to increase student awareness and participation with the pantries. Develop intentional pantry nutritional program development focused on diverse and inclusive diets.
1. Create a pantry-specific social media campaign, develop content, and innovate new outreach materials.
2. Create and implement a routine tabling schedule in which the VISTA will participate in educating the greater KSU population on CARE Services and the resources we have available for students.
3. Evaluate outreach activity through use of OwlLife and Pantrysoft to determine the best methodology for tabling/outreach and the relationship between students who participate in outreach and their relationship with the pantry (frequency of visits, donation drives, and so on)
4. Using available resources, this member will develop a CARE recipe book that teaches students how to utilize goods within the pantry to create healthy, balanced meals. Recipes will be considerate of typical cooking materials available for students (i.e. microwave, lack of kitchen supplies and stove/oven).
5. Conduct dietary research that focuses on preferences for different cultures that are representative of the student populations we serve within the pantry. Create monthly recipes that align with cultural holiday calendars (Hispanic heritage month, black history month, religious holidays)
6. Create a manual for implementing civic engagement initiatives, services, and workshops.
7. Research and partnership building to increase dietary restrictive food offerings in the pantry such as gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, halal, kosher, and so on.
Program Benefits: Childcare assistance if eligible, Relocation Allowance, Stipend, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health Coverage, bi-weekly Living Allowance, Hybrid work schedule option (1 remote day per week)
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
395 Cobb AvenueStudent Center, Suite 172Kennesaw, GA 30144
September 22, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME