Refugee Services--several placements (AmeriCorps Position)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps--Boston
Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps (NDMVA) is seeking applicants to serve as a Full-time AmeriCorps Members at Jewish Vocational Services (JVS) in Boston from September 2022-July 2023.
For over 75 years JVS has helped people secure financial independence. Every year, JVS serves nearly 21,000 individuals providing them the skills they need to gain employment, as well as to progress up the career and wage ladder and make sound financial choices over their lifetimes. Programs span from providing employment services to Refugees, to educational programs that help our students prepare for college or get certified in the Biotechnology, Nursing and Pharmacy fields.
The AmeriCorps Members work collaboratively with Refugee Services staff in areas such as identifying local suitable support options for refugee and immigrant participants, creating opportunities for individuals that will lead to successful program completion, and job placement and/or career ladder advancement. These NDA members can also teach Vocational English Language Training. Individual applicants will be screened for the most appropriate assignment for their interests and abilities.
We invite applications from individuals who are over 18 and have work experience or a college education. A high school diploma is required unless the applicant is enrolled in a GED program while serving and completes his or her GED by the end of the year of service. Applicants with Refugee Experience are preferred for these positions.
Applicants should also possess:
The willingness to spend a year in the service of others.
Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to be flexible, adaptive, and work on a team.
U.S. citizenship or be a lawful permanent resident.
Commitment to serve as a full-time volunteer for 11 months.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- Living Allowance: Because Notre Dame- AmeriCorps is partnered with the Corporation for National and Community Service, we are able to offer our members a yearly living allowance which is distributed bi-weekly over the 11 months term. The pre-tax figure for 2022-2023 is approx. $16,000.
- The Education Award: Upon completion of a service term, AmeriCorps members receive a taxable education award of $6,500. The education award can be applied to qualified student loans or future education at a Title IV institution. To learn more about the education award and the National Service Trust, please visit AmeriCorps' page on the subject.
- Student Loan Forbearance: Members of NDA are eligible for forbearance of federal student loans during their term of service. This means that while a member is serving, he or she does not make payments on his or her qualifying loans. In addition, the National Trust will pay the interest that accrues on the loan at the end of the term of service. For more information please visit Postponing Student Loan Payments and Getting Interest Paid
- Community Housing Option: NDMVA Boston is able to offer a low-rent community housing option to NDMVA Members. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Optional Health Insurance: We provide optional healthcare while you serve with NDA.
- Child Care: NDA members may also be eligible for child care benefits. The AmeriCorps Child Care Program covers up to the state’s local market rate for child care fees and makes payments directly to the member’s caregiver.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
75 Federal StreetBoston, MA 02110
September 21, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME