DCS: Disaster Action Team (DAT) Service Associate Jefferson County
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross - Alabama Mississippi Region
Please visit the new page to apply.
This position supports the Regional Disaster Cycle Services department. To serve on a Disaster Action Team as a worker on a DAT response to provide 24-hour immediate support and assistance to individuals and families who have been impacted by a home fire or other local disaster.
- Works as part of an assigned team to respond to local disasters within two hours.
- Has access to RC Care and can directly enter case data.
- Works with on-scene lead to assess whether additional resources/support are required and communicates those needs to DAT Leadership.
- Attends regularly scheduled team/DAT meetings as required by Chapter/Region.
- Commits to being available during assigned shifts and communicates scheduling conflicts with DAT Leadership.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by DAT Leadership.
- Time Commitment
Varies. Minimum number of shifts as required by Chapter/Region.
- Willingness to comply with Red Cross COVID-19 policies for in-person volunteer activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission of the American Red Cross
- Remains current with all required training.
- Able to respond reliably to local disasters when on call.
- Able to follow Red Cross DAT and other related standards and procedures.
- Reliable access to technology (including smartphone and laptop or computer)
- Ability to learn and use Red Cross systems, including RC Care and RC Respond and online interfaces.
- Ability to work in challenging and stressful conditions such as poor air quality, uneven ground, adverse weather, etc.
- Must have a valid driver's license and/or a timely, reliable way to get to the scene.
- Ability to take direction from steady state and operational leadership.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Stand for two-hour periods
- Sit for two-hour periods
- Walk on uneven terrain
- Walk for two miles during a shift
- Work in extreme heat and/or humidity
- Work in extreme cold
- Spend hours writing
- Speak clearly on the phone and in person
- Climb two or more flights of stairs
- Drive in daytime and at night
- Length of Appointment
May retain position if training is updated, and regional engagement criteria is met
- Development Opportunities
DAT Supervisor, DAT Manager, DAT Coordinator, Duty Officer, Recovery Caseworker; Mass Care related positions
See the Disaster Responder Training Requirements document for current training requirements.
About American Red Cross - Alabama Mississippi Region
700 Caldwell Trace, Birmingham, AL 35242, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether itﾒs one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
Multiple locations Birmingham, AL 35221
October 20, 2023
- Disaster Cleanup
- Disaster Response
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- • Time Commitment Varies. Minimum number of shifts as required by Chapter/Region