3 people are interested
Head of Product
ORGANIZATION: African Development Choices
Please visit the new page to apply.
3 people are interested
African Development Choices (ADC) is a UK-based Social Enterprise on a mission to reduce poverty by empowering communities to make more informed choices in the management of public finances.
ADC’s purpose is to enable communities to independently meet their needs for essential services, such as clean water and safe sanitation and improve lives in Africa.
At ADC we encourage a working culture of seeking and giving input, showing and taking initiative, and commitment to the organisation and its purpose.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a volunteer Head of Product to join ADC
Main purpose of job: Build and manage a new product function tasked with designing and delivering tech products that meet business objectives and customer needs.
Department: Product Management
Position reports to: Chief Revenue Officer
Position is responsible for: TBC
Main duties & Responsibilities
We have identified at a high level the potential for a product that brings together information about people and services in the WASH industry. Your role will be to build a production function staffed with volunteers to explore this further, evolving the idea or identifying new ideas to explore. This includes identifying staffing needs and recruitment, as well as supporting the product function you build in market research, defining product strategy and overseeing delivery.
- Build a product function, with skills across the product & delivery domain, including product, design and engineering.
- Product lifecycle management from concept to end-of-life
- Translate business strategy into product strategy and conduct appropriate market research
- Translate product strategy into detailed requirements and prototypes
- Lead, define and communicate product strategy to all stakeholders
- Develop a product vision, roadmap and pipeline based on input from internal stakeholders, customers, market research and own insight
- Define product pricing and competitive positioning as appropriate, including potentialy free and freemium models
- Drive action throughout the organization to get products to market
- Plan and carry out product launches together with marketing team
- Provide product marketing with insights on key differentiators and messages
- Perform product demos to customers and develop relationships with key clients
- Manage all aspects of in-life products, including customer feedback, requirements, and issues
- Establish and lead a new product management function
Knowledge, skills and experience
- 5+ years’ experience as a product leader
- 5+ years’ leadership experience, including establishing and leading high-performing product management teams that deliver world-class products
- Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful product throughout its lifecycle
- Proven ability to develop product and marketing strategies and effectively communicate recommendations to the executive and management teams
- Ability to understand complex product functionality, design and technical issues, in order to drive the right priorities, trade-offs, and resolutions
- Excellent client consultation and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to develop a deep understanding of client needs, and then address them
- Ability to actively take initiative and help set things up in a start-up environment
- Available to volunteer at least 7-10 hours a week
- Experience working in an early stage start-up and gone through a scaling phase
- Passion for the start-up life and comfortable in a role with a little ambiguity
- Experience leading, managing and coaching successful teams in different geographical locations
What ADC Offers You:
- This is a volunteer, remote and unpaid position with the following benefits:
- An opportunity to transition to a permanent/contract role when we secure funding
- Professional learning and career development opportunities
- An opportunity to build on your work experience within your profession
- An opportunity to be part of a diverse team representing different parts of the world that is delivering systemic social change in Africa
- An opportunity to help shape a start-up social enterprise
- We can provide a work reference
This job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.
Here at African Development Choices, we celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our teams are made up of people from all over the world and we welcome all applications. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition, and you require any reasonable adjustments for your application with us, please let us know by contacting email@example.com.
About African Development Choices
Kemp House, 160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX, GB
Our mission is to reduce poverty by empowering communities to make more informed choices in the management of public resources.
African Development Choices (ADC) is a UK-based Social Enterprise on a mission to reduce poverty in Africa by empowering local communities and their leaders to make more informed choices in the management of public resources so that they can independently meet their own needs for essential services. Improving public resources management is key to establishing a sustainable society. And increasing access to essential services, such as clean water and sanitation, is key to fighting poverty because lack of access to essential services is a root cause of poverty.
We achieve this using our unique approach to reduce poverty as follows:
- Set better precedent
- Raise expectations
- Increase public participation
- Improve management of public resources
- Increase access to essential services
By delivering access to essential services through our donor-funded community projects, we set better precedents in the management of public resources and the delivery of essential services. Then we raise expectations through education and support and mobilise communities to play an active and informed role in the management of public resources so that they can enact change for themselves. We achieve this by sharing information from our projects that provides a new perspective. It’s not the information that empowers communities to participate; it’s raised expectations from a new perspective.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 14, 2022
- Product Development
- Resource Development / Management
- Project Management
- 7-10 hrs per week