DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Help Save Kittens - Shelter Intervention Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Stray Cat Alliance
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Shelter Intervention Volunteer Position Description
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Shelter Intervention Volunteer with Stray Cat Alliance’s Safe at Home program! Our innovative Safe at Home program saves the lives of kittens, who are the most often killed in shelters. Unweaned, newborn kittens are an estimated 20% to 40% of the cats impounded in municipal shelters. If they require bottle feeding and no one fosters them immediately, these kittens are killed. Safe at Home empowers community members to serve as foster care givers, playing an integral part in saving animal lives. At the Chesterfield Square Animal Service Center in South Los Angeles, located at 1850 West 60th St, LA 90047, Stray Cat Alliance staff and volunteers intercept people, before kittens are impounded, and mentor and support them as fosters. We provide training on all aspects from bottle feeding through adoption. We also supply all food and medical care. This is one of the few programs of its kind in the United States. It shouldn’t be. We would like to expand to as many communities as we can.
This year, the Safe at Home program will expand its focus to include cats of all ages. Volunteers are an integral part of this program. Please join us as we make a difference for cats and kittens in our community.
Anyone over the age of 18 who is committed to helping animals may apply to become a Shelter Intervention Volunteer. No specific educational background is required, but volunteers must have strong communication and problem solving skills. Spanish language skills are essential. This is an in-person volunteer role that takes place at the Chesterfield Square Animal Service Center in South Los Angeles. All volunteers are provided training and supervision to be successful in this role.
Support Stray Cat Alliance staff to perform interventions at the Chesterfield Square Animal Service Center, located at 1850 West 60th St, LA 90047, engaging with community members who find cats and kittens and are able to foster them at home.
- Provide on the spot training and supplies to new foster parents.
- Provide community members with additional information about animal-related resources, e.g. low-cost spay/neuter and vaccine clinics.
- Input cat/kitten information into our online database.
- Capture photos and videos to highlight stories of people and cats we help in South LA.
- Work with staff and other volunteers to keep our shelter space neat and clean, and supplies clean and sanitized.
- Help feed and temporarily care for any cats/kittens on-site.
- Assist with transporting cats/kittens to and from our clinic or shelter as needed.
We request that you serve a minimum of one three-hour shift per week.
Days: Tuesday through Saturday
Time slots: 8 AM - 11 AM; 11 AM - 2 PM; 2 PM - 5 PM
To apply, please complete our volunteer application .
To learn more about Stray Cat Alliance, please visit www.straycatalliance.org .
Must supply proof of Covid19 vaccination(s).
- morning / 08:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- afternoon / 12:00 PM to 02:00 PM
- afternoon / 02:00 PM to 04:45 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Stray Cat Alliance
PO BOX 661277, Los Angeles, CA 90066, US
Stray Cat Alliance educates and empowers communities to advocate for every cat’s right to be safe, healthy, and valued.
Every day, our team works to save the helpless lives of kittens and cats by providing: spay/neuter, trap-neuter-return (TNR), adoptions, wellness care, medical care, and community shelter support.
Our goals are to:
- Eradicate cruelty toward cats through advocacy, rescue, and education.
- Find loving forever homes for cats and kittens taken in through all of our programs.
- Help shelters transform themselves from executioners to safe havens for cats by implementing SCA’s life-saving policies and procedures.
- Educate the community about the plight of free‐roaming cats and empower people to take action to stop population growth through spay and neuter.
- Create and sustain a No-Kill Nation by mentoring other communities to become no kill through our grassroots programs.
Stray Cat Alliance envisions a time when all cats are valued and safe whether in homes or communities, and when shelters serve as temporary safe havens.
1850 West 60th StreetLos Angeles, CA 90047
September 20, 2022
- Customer Service
- Animal Care / Handling
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 three-hour shifts per month.
- Spanish speaking would be very helpful Must supply proof of Covid19 vaccination(s).