Summer Campus Host- Schoodic District Acadia National Park
ORGANIZATION: National Park Service
Please visit the new page to apply.
Summer Campus Host Position Description
The Campus Host position is a volunteer for Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park’s Schoodic District located in Winter Harbor, Maine. The position is a representative of the National Park Service and Schoodic Institute located on the Winter Harbor, Maine campus.
The purpose of this position is to provide people with an opportunity to volunteer their time to a national organization with an important vision and mission, and in return, gain a provided location of residence, in a beautiful National Park, in an apartment for the allotted time of their service. Utilities, free parking, and WiFi are all included during the time of service. Summertime leisure activities can include hiking, biking, and bird watching in Acadia National Park’s newly developed nearby Schoodic Woods trail system; these trails are open year-round. An artist or photographer is sure to find tremendous inspiration in this region.
The Campus Host will be managed by the Schoodic Institute Director of Sales and Operations but may also receive direction from the Maintenance Supervisor. The NPS Volunteer Coordinator may work with the Director of Sales and Operations to facilitate activities of the campus host if necessary.
· The campus host will reside in an apartment on the Schoodic Institute campus. The campus host apartment and phone number are published in the campus informational material as the primary after hours / emergency contact, this may include nights and weekends.
· In the absence of Schoodic Institute (SI) Staff, the Campus Host will act as the primary point of contact for SI guests. This includes routine assistance, check-in, check-out, registration, maintenance and/or emergency contact.
· The Campus Host must be able to communicate the mission and activities of SI and ANP in a friendly knowledgeable manner.
· Interact with visitors on or around the SI campus and provide maps, answer questions, or give directions as requested to other local points of interest.
· Inspect and lock campus facilities nightly.
· May be asked to input basic computer data, provide filing assistance, and answer phones.
· Assisting SI Maintenance with ongoing projects such as painting and light gardening.
· Assist SI maintenance department with ongoing recycle program.
· Must have a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license to drive a Government vehicle for various SI/ANP events.
· Be willing to assist other NPS & SI divisions as needed.
· Assist ANP Volunteer Coordinator and SI Staff on an event or as needed basis.
· The work week consists of a minimum of 32 hours per week (per individual campus host volunteer).
· The Schedule will be event driven or as needed and will include weekends and holidays.
· The Campus Host will receive 2 days off within a 7 day period. Additional adjustments may be made by mutual agreement.
· Volunteer time sheets will be submitted to the NPS Volunteer Coordinator at the end of each month.
Start Date - 2023-07-03
End Date - 2023-10-12
Activities include: Construction/Maintenance;General Assistance;Planning Office/Clerical;Visitor Information
Hosts Housing Amenities: Other
About National Park Service
1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC 20240, US
The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. The Park Service cooperates with partners to extend the benefits of natural and cultural resource conservation and outdoor recreation throughout this country and the world.
The U.S. National Park Service, www.nps.gov, cares for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage. We care for more than 400 national parks and help communities preserve their historic places and open spaces.
9 Atterbury CircleWinter Harbor, ME 04693
September 8, 2022
- Outdoor Recreation
- Water Recreation
- People 55+