Volunteers Needed for Students in the South Bronx this fall!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Masa
Masa is seeking dedicated volunteers to provide in person tutoring and homework help to elementary and middle school students in the South Bronx! Masa partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth, and families to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community. Our community-led, integrated model engages the entire family, and it is grounded in a deep commitment to strengthening literacy, leadership, and power for Mexican, Central American, and Indigenous people. We foster a culturally responsive learning community in which families engage with direct service and advocacy programs to dismantle barriers to success.
This is a great opportunity to provide academic support to children of immigrant families in a historically underserved area in New York City. By tutoring students for three hours a week, you can help ensure that children who are not being properly supported by the school system, especially in one of the hardest hit communities by the pandemic, are in a better position academically for this school year.
Masa's After-school Program (MAP) will operate in person from September 2022 to June 2023, as follows:
· Cohort A: Monday & Wednesday from 5:00PM - 7:00PM
· Cohort B: Thursday & Tuesdays from 5:00pm - 7:00pm
2770 Third Avenue 1 st floor
Bronx, NY 10455
During program, students receive homework help, grow as readers and mathematicians, and learn about social justice.
Masa's 2022-2023After-School Program will start in September 2022 and run through June 2023 with the possibility of extending into the summer. Volunteers are admitted on a rolling basis.
Requirements are as follows:
· Ability to volunteer consistently at least once a week but preferably twice a week for at least 4-6 months, ideally for entire duration of the program. When working with children, consistency is the key to success!
· Commit to supporting Masa scholars in improving their literacy and math skills, as well as completing HW, using a strengths-based and culturally responsive approach
· Willingness and ability to serve as a tutor/homework facilitator to elementary or middle school students in an in person setting
· Willingness and ability to discuss topics related to social justice with students, including the Black Lives Matter movement, Immigrant rights, Indigenous People’s rights and histories and LGBTQIA+ rights
· Attend mandatory orientation and trainings (provided advance notice and multiple options for scheduling)
· Commitment to following all Masa policies and procedures, including with respect to confidentiality and boundaries
· Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Masa staff and/or fill out any required surveys
· Agree to in person program and adhere to all health and safety policies
· Must be at least 16 years old and have parent consent to volunteer
· Vaccination and masks are required
Interested in applying? Fill out our interest form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeJdyRZC1viIyKdqTNW8FROmPJIMZtDDdY63T-YlJ1YaKDk5A/viewform?usp=sf_link
For more information you may also visit: www.masany.org or e-mail us at email@example.com or call 917-873-7453
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
2770 Third Avenue1st FloorBronx, NY 10455
September 7, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK