Director of Strategy and Planning, Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Canadian Pet Cancer FoundationJob description
Director of Strategy and Planning, Volunteer
About the Pet Cancer Foundation
The Pet Cancer Foundation’s vision is to increase the life expectancy and improve the quality of life of pets diagnosed with cancer. Estimates suggest that 12M dogs and cats are developing cancer every year, roughly 6x the number of humans getting cancer yearly within North America. We need to do more for our furry friends, and we're building a large team of distributed, animal-loving passionate volunteers to help them and their families.
Over the past 24 months, the organization has grown to a team of over 300 volunteers working virtually across Canada, the United States, and another half dozen countries worldwide. As we work to become the leading organization in the field of animal cancer, we plan to more than double in size over the next 12 months. To continue on this trajectory, we’re in search of experienced senior strategic planning professionals to assist our executive in the implementation of our strategic vision. That’s where and how you can help us.
About the Position
The Director of Strategy & Planning leads the implementation of the strategic planning & reporting framework, ensuring the process, tools & approved plans are well communicated across the organization. The Director seeks to create a strategic planning center of excellence, shares knowledge of industry best practices, and develops organizational policies & procedures to guide the Pet Cancer Foundation’s planning processes. The Director actively monitors the execution of approved plans & facilitates regular, formal reviews against established priorities and objectives to feed executives & leadership teams the critical information that supports decision making at all levels of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the implementation of the strategic planning and reporting framework that guides the identification of PCF’s short, medium and long-term objectives in direct support of the achievement of its vision and defines how the organization will report on its progress/achievement of objectives.
- Lead the conduct of environmental assessments and research into relevant legislative, economic, social, technological, business and industry trends to inform the organization’s strategic planning process.
- Support the executive in the development of the organization’s strategic & operating plans, incorporating sound risk management principles into the planning process & identifying the need for change management strategies where necessary, to ensure holistic, relevant, engaging priorities & objectives are identified and documented in a manner that supports communication and buy-in.
- Ensure a prioritization framework exists that aligns cross-functional work to the organization’s objectives and prioritizes scarce resources to drive business value. Analyzes plans from various departments to ensure no duplication of efforts and overall alignment with strategic priorities.
- Facilitate the strategic review and planning processes with the Executive team to enable the development of master plans and to formally review the progress against established goals and plans.
- Lead the organization’s corporate reporting activities, providing regular briefings to executives & leadership teams across PCF to identify operational risks & to monitor the overall execution of the strategic plan.
- Identify opportunities to improve the strategic planning/reporting processes and lead the implementation of changes to continuously enhance the organization’s planning and reporting capabilities.
- Lead initiatives to communicate the organization’s approach to strategic planning, to educate various stakeholders of the importance of the strategic planning and reporting processes and to share tools that are available to facilitate the process. Ensure the strategic plan is broadly communicated across the organization.
- Lead a team of corporate planning and reporting specialists providing coaching, guidance, and direction to help them success in their work.
You are experienced leading a strategy management team through various projects across the business, leading to strategy optimization and overall performance improvement of the business. You excel collaborative roles with top business leadership where clear communications is a major factor to the effectiveness with which strategies are implemented across the business. You are a passionate team-builder, having an ability to work well with multi-functional teams, as a strategic and creative thinker, with a positive can-do attitude, working well in a constantly evolving environment. You have:
- An Undergraduate university degree or a Graduate degree in a business-related discipline
- At least 10 years’ experience in a Strategy & Planning role, with a focus on delivering long range plans and objectives
- Expert-level knowledge of process development
- Credibility as a senior-level leader
- Ability to juggle multiple goals and deadlines in the context of the big picture
- Ability to improve cross-functional collaboration and processes
- Substantial team leadership experience with a focus on team development and leadership
- Strong facilitation, negotiation & problem resolution skills
- Ability to build a strong network and relationships at executive levels with technology and solutions, customers, and vendor groups
- Resilience, resourcefulness, maturity, and tenacity
What we provide you with
This leadership role is a generational opportunity to build a best-in-class worldwide organization that will make a difference in millions of animals' lives in the decades to come. The challenges of building an umbrella cancer agency from inception will provide learnings across the board while expanding your network of contacts that will be of assistance to your advancing private or non-profit career.
- This position is virtual and must reside from within North America
- This volunteer position requires a time commitment of approximately 8-10 hours per week, which can be completed at varying times based on your schedule
- Visit our new website in beta-release at www.petcancerfdn.org to learn more about the organization
Job Type: Part-time
- We are experiencing higher than 70% of applicants who state they missed seeing the volunteer nature of the role in the posting above. Please leave us a short acknowledgement that you are aware of the volunteer nature of the role to allow us to properly consider your application. Thank you!
- Master's (Preferred)
- Strategic planning: 10 years (Preferred)
- Senior leadership: 7 years (Preferred)
- process development: 7 years (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote
View public job page
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1285 West BroadwaySuite 600Vancouver, BC V6H 1G7Canada
August 22, 2022