Vice President, Communications, Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Canadian Pet Cancer FoundationJob description
Vice President, Communications, Volunteer
About the Pet Cancer Foundation
The Pet Cancer Foundation’s vision is to increase the life expectancy and improve the quality of life of pets diagnosed with cancer. Estimates suggest that 12M dogs and cats are developing cancer every year, roughly 6x the number of humans getting cancer yearly within North America.
Over the past 24 months, the organization has grown to a team of over 300 volunteers working virtually across Canada, the United States, and another half dozen countries worldwide to further our mission. To continue this trajectory, we are now searching for experienced, executive-level communications guidance, as we set out to define our strategy and launch our organization to the broader public. That's where and how you can help us.
About the position:
As our volunteer Vice President, Communications, you will be responsible for the strategic development of PCF's internal and external communications plans, while building and overseeing a team responsible for messaging, positioning and execution of the Foundation's narrative. The VP Communications will enhance the internal team experience, as well as lead external communications and public relations initiatives. The Vice President will work collaboratively the VP Marketing, along with other peers and executives that rely on the Communications business unit to support their contribution to the execution of the organization’s strategic vision. The VP is responsible for driving our strategic communications planning process, and for guiding their departmental directors to develop and implement their approved strategies, along with the relevant tactics to successfully realize the organization’s broader goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with leadership to develop and execute an integrated corporate communications strategy that will successfully reinforce the foundation’s business objectives. Oversee all staffing and operations of the business unit, including planning and eventual budget development.
- Lead the development of the organization’s communication calendar for multiple projects from beginning to end and report progress to key stakeholders.
- Lead the communications team to develop both corporate and consumer-facing PR programs; manage relationships with PR agencies, freelancers and other volunteers or partners who contribute to the PR function.
- Work seamlessly with the marketing team, recognizing the common ground between traditional marketing and communication roles, identifying opportunities to improve efforts between the business units and departments. Collaborate productively with other departments to deliver consistent, aligned, and impactful communications.
- Establish a performance monitoring framework and process to guide how the organization will identify key communications metrics and monitor progress against approved objectives.
- Through skills and needs assessments, develop, and manage a productive structure that encourages creativity and collaboration, and ownership of goals among the team.
- Oversee all efforts to: (a) develop positive relationships with new and traditional media, influencers and analysts and secure press coverage, (b) manage press/media relations, pitching and incoming press inquiries, and (c) to organize and develop talking points for press appearances by executive team.
- Manage crisis communications and reputation issues as needed.
- Oversee development of press coverage reports and distribution of news clips to all team members.
You are a seasoned and strategic senior communications professional who is dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic about the role your profession can have in shaping the future of an organization. You are the consummate professional and one who thrives in a collaborative environment. You are ready to accept the challenge of working in a growing, dynamic volunteer organization, working in close collaboration with many different teams and departments. You are motivated to lead a virtual team and to mentor, coach and effectively transfer expertise to others. You have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism
- 15 years’ experience with at least 5 years at an executive level in corporate communications
- Exceptional expertise in strategic development of communications programs, events, and platforms
- Excellent communication, messaging, and storytelling skills
- Servant Leader and team player, ready willing and able to jump in and help out as needed with the team
- Strong project management skills; highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills; ability to build and develop relationships across levels
- A passion for the cause and mission we pursue
What we provide you with
Volunteering with PCF in this critical role is a generational opportunity to contribute to building a best-in-class worldwide organization that will make a difference in millions of animals' lives in the decades to come. The challenges of building an umbrella cancer agency from inception, will provide learning while expanding your network of contacts that will be of assistance to your advancing private or non-profit career.
- We are searching for both a Vice President and an Associate Vice President, with both working collaboratively on the needs of the business unit and organization
- This position works virtually from anywhere in Canada or the United States
- Expectations regarding a time commitment are in the range of 8-10 hours per week on average
- Flexibility in hours of availability will be necessary during campaigns and periods of high public outreach.
- Please visit our new website in beta-release at www.petcancerfdn.org for more information about the organization
Job Type: Part-time
- We are experiencing higher than 70% of applicants who state they missed seeing the volunteer nature of the role in the posting above. Please leave us a short acknowledgement that you are aware of the volunteer nature of the role to allow us to properly consider your application. Thank you!
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Senior-level communications: 10 years (Preferred)
- Executive-level leadership: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1285 West BroadwaySuite 600Vancouver, BC V6H 1G7Canada
August 22, 2022