Assistant Director Website Editorial, Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Canadian Pet Cancer FoundationJob description
Assistant Director Website Editorial, Volunteer
About the Pet Cancer Foundation
The Pet Cancer Foundation’s vision is to increase the life expectancy and improve the quality of life of pets diagnosed with cancer. Estimates suggest that 12M dogs and cats are developing cancer every year, roughly 6x the number of humans getting cancer yearly within North America. We need to do more for our furry friends, and we're building a large team of distributed, animal-loving passionate volunteers to help them and their families.
Over the past 24 months, the organization has grown to a team of over 300 volunteers working virtually across the United States, Canada, and another half dozen countries worldwide. As we work to become the leading non-profit organization in the field of animal cancer, we plan to more than double in size over the next 12 months. We're searching for a highly qualified Assistant Director of Website Content to assist in leading our Website Editorial team. That's where and how you can help us.
About the Position
The volunteer Assistant Director, is responsible for leading the operational functions of the department in collaboration with the Director and Editor-in-Chief. The Assistant Director supports the department head with oversight of the numerous project teams, interviews, hiring, & placement of new volunteers, assists project/content planning development, tracking and follow-up; and overall management of the department. The Assistant works collaboratively within the department, and externally across the organization, to ensure the many components of the website content are maintained and updated, while identifying any barriers/roadblocks that may be encountered. When delays occur, the Assistant Director will recommend solutions to remedy shortcomings, working through the Director or independently to improve workflow and make progress. The Assistant backstops the senior role when required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with defining the content planning framework and with the approval of short-, medium-, and long-term content development strategies that direct the work of the website editorial team, seeking to establish PCF as a recognized, trusted source of pet cancer-related information.
- Assists with the editorial direction for the website and its various sections that includes blog-style content about the latest cancer advancements, animal health and wellness topics, etc., in addition to maintaining and updating the resource listings, clinical trial information and core medical content of the site
- Reviews and contributes to the approval of the publishing calendar for the news and updates section, and all content posted on PCF’s website to ensure it aligns with the strategic direction and supports the achievement of the organization’s objectives of interest to targeted stakeholders.
- Helps to establish, implement, and continuously improve PCF’s comprehensive publication process, including editing, peer review and fact checking steps, and establish parameters to ensure all content is timely, objective, and factually accurate but also ensures content can be efficiently published.
- Work in close collaboration with various business units to ensure the website meets a wide variety of strategic objectives, while always preserving the overall integrity and purpose of the website and all content contained within.
- Leads the coordination of legal and transparency content for the website to ensure PCFs obligations as a not-for-profit, charitable organization.
- Assists the Department with the placement process of new team members, reviewing credentials, interviewing candidates and providing orientation at time of joining PCF’s website editorial department. Maintains team and departmental organization charts to keep track of active/engaged team members.
- Assists in leading and motivating the team, ensuring that business and project plans are effectively translated into specific individual and team goals to ensure the successful achievement of these objectives.
You are a creative and strategic thinker with a passion for publishing informative, fact-based web content. You regularly seek opportunities to grow an organization's website presence and take pride in overseeing the publication of a large volume of high-quality, accurate information geared toward a specific audience. You are a great leader seeking to guide a team of writers to support the organization's website editorial objectives. You have:
- Doctoral degree in a life or animal sciences discipline/health-related policy or specialty. Oncology strongly preferred;
- Significant and progressive experience writing and reviewing articles for known journals;
- Experience in carrying out health or scientific-related research for the purpose of writing and publishing fact-based, informative articles;
- Experience serving on the Editorial Board of a recognized journal would be considered a vital asset;
- Previous experience working in a medical-related field would be considered an asset;
- Excellent skills in editing and proofreading web material;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong management and leadership skills and a proven ability to develop talent across an organization;
- Effective project management skills.
What we provide you with
This leadership role is a generational opportunity to build a best-in-class worldwide organization that will make a difference in millions of animals' lives in the decades to come. The challenges of building an umbrella cancer agency from inception will provide learnings across the board while expanding your network of contacts that will be of assistance to your advancing private or non-profit sector career.
- This position is virtual and must reside within North America.
- This volunteer position requires a time commitment of approximately 8-10 hours per week and more at times.
- Please visit our website in beta-release at www.petcancerfdn.org to learn more about the organization. Medical topic links are not active for the general public at this time.
Job Type: Part-time
- We are experiencing higher than 70% of applicants who state they missed seeing the volunteer nature of the role in the posting above. Please leave us a short acknowledgement that you are aware of the volunteer nature of the role to allow us to properly consider your application. Thank you!
- Doctorate (Preferred)
- scientific writing and editing: 10 years (Preferred)
- Team management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Editorial management: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote
View public job page
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1285 West BroadwaySuite 600Vancouver, BC V6H 1G7Canada
August 22, 2022