DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Scholarship Committee Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Young Women's Leadership Academy
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Education is one of the most important gifts we can give today's youth and it is a gift that benefits not only the student but the entire community. Our Scholarship program supports local young women in pursuing higher education by providing college scholarships, sponsoring college field trips, mentoring girls in the college application process and funding books and school supplies for scholars.
Many of the students who have received Young Women’s Preparatory Network Scholarships are the first in their families to attend college. The students who receive our Scholarship to attend college will one day be our future community leaders.
Help us to expand and evolve the work of the committee; to build and engage a network of scholarship alumnae, to help to grow the number of scholarships, to support scholarships on their college journey and to impact our young members pursuit of higher education.
This committee hosts an annual scholarship fundraising drive, which culminates in providing scholarships for local students.
WHY VOLUNTEER WITH THE SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
- Help deserving students pursue their dreams of higher education.
- Mentor and provide guidance to high school students on their college application process
- Bring your creativity and ideas to be part of the scholarship & mentoring planning process.
- Change the trajectory of first-generation college students.
- Opportunity to lead and improve leadership skills while building a subcommittee of volunteers working on project initiatives and tasks.
- Grow your network and advocate for the next generation of like-minded women.
As a member of the Scholarship Committee, you would assist in support and outreach of our mission, including awarding of scholarships to young women graduating high school and obtaining a college education. Activities include organizing the luncheon fundraising event, organizing benefit days, partnering with potential sponsors, helping coordinate a Scholarship In Honor Program, developing other fundraising initiatives, assisting with publicity, and maintaining connections with scholarship entities.
- Interest in performing a wide variety of tasks such as: event planning, sponsor recruitment/solicitation, fund raising, graphic design, photography, videography, brainstorming, marketing;
- Understanding of and deep passion for empowering young women - key to our mission
- Strong and effective communication skills;
- Ability to build connections - with funders/donors, schools, youth, partners
- Strong team work & collaboration skills - with the belief that team work and collaboration are effective ways of getting things done;
- Ability to work on/follow-through on tasks in-between committee meetings;
- Like to have fun.
About Young Women's Leadership Academy
8040 Yermoland, El Paso, TX 79907, US
The Ysleta Young Women’s Leadership Academy is a member of the Young Women’s Preparatory Network (YWPN), a nonprofit organization that partners with public school districts to operate the largest network of all-girls, public, college-preparatory schools in the nation. All YWPN schools feature a STEM-focused curriculum. The core values are college readiness, leadership and wellness life skills. More information about YWPN can be found at http://youngwomensprep.org/. Our mission is to support single-gender, college-preparatory, public education in Texas and beyond, giving young women the academic and leadership skills to achieve success in college and in life.
The Ysleta Young Women's Leadership Academy is the only FREE, all girl, college preparatory public school in West Texas. YWLA opened in the 2016-2017 school year with 125 6th grade girls and 98 7th grade girls adding a new 6th-grade cohort every year after. When at capacity, we will have grades 6-12 (middle school and high school).
Our young women are exceeding academic expectations and proving all students, regardless of their background or socio-economic status, can excel if given the right opportunity. Our school has a foundation of STEAM curriculum with a focus on our core values: Responsible Leadership, College and Career Readiness, and Wellness Life Skills.
8040 Yermoland DriveEl Paso, TX 79907
August 19, 2022
- Public Relations
- Administrative Support
- Program Management
- Must be at least 18
- flexible; Monthly virtual meetings.