ORGANIZATION: Center for Arts at the Armory
Please visit the new page to apply.
Mandarin Interpreter, The Center for Arts at the Armory, Job Description
The Somerville Winter Farmers Market (SWFM), managed by The Center for the Arts at the Armory, is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated candidate to increase accessibility efforts by acting as a Mandarin Interpreter for the 2022-23 Somerville Winter Farmers Market in Somerville, MA.
The Mandarin Interpreter will improve communication between farmers market guests and the vendors and SNAP Coordinator. They will be responsible for enhancing on-site communication helping new customers navigate the farmers market.
In this position, the Mandarin Interpreter will have the opportunity to enhance their skills in communication, marketing, and knowledge of programs aimed at increasing access to local foods. This position will aid the Farmers Market Manager and Farmers Market Vendors to ensure a positive customer experience. They will facilitate communication with vendors and facilitate communication during SNAP/EBT transactions, HIP transactions, and explain processes related to SNAP/HIP transactions.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in local agriculture, food and nutrition, bolstering community, and promoting farmers markets. They should be reliable, friendly, self-motivated, and comfortable communicating with a diverse customer base.
- Serve as on-site Mandarin Interpreter
- Facilitate communication effectively with all customers to explain different processes at the market, including: supporting transactions between customers and vendors, explaining how the market works, assisting with SNAP/EBT transactions, explaining SNAP Match and HIP programs to customers
- Keep accurate records during market as to how many customers requested interpretation services each week
- Assist vendors, volunteers, and consumers by providing market-related information and general aid as appropriate
- Friendly, dynamic and positive energy
- Dependable, punctual and responsible, with a high level of professional integrity
- Resourceful and creative, with strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and through hands-on experience
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while handling competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability and desire to meet new people, foster connections, build community relationships, and ability to talk with a wide range of individuals, including those occasionally disgruntled
To apply: Please submit a resume along 3-4 sentences in your email explaining why you want this position and to discuss pay. Please email Juliana at email@example.com with your application.
About Center for Arts at the Armory
191 HIGHLAND AVENUE, SOMERVILLE, MA 02143, US
Recognizing that arts can bridge cultiural, class, and generation divides, the Center for Arts at the Armory is a multi-disciplinary effort dedicated to promoting music, dance, film, and visual Arts in Somerville, Massachusetts.
The Center for the Arts at the Armory is an award-winning organization whick transformed an historic armory into a community arts center. Recognizing that arts can bridge cultural, class and generational devides in our society, Arts at the Armory showcases visual and literary arts and features dance, theater and musical performances. We also offer art education classes. Through executing our mission and vision, Arts at the Armory creates life-long opportunities for children, youth and adults to learn and celebrate the meaning of art in their lives.
191 Highland AvenueSomerville, MA 02143
September 21, 2022
- People 55+
- 4 hours per week on Saturdays from *November 5–April 8 from 9:30am–1:30pm *No market held on Nov. 26th, or Dec. 24th or 31st with weekly check-ins with Market Manager and availability for training, date to be determined in October