AmeriCorps Event Coordinator VISTA
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Metropolitan Ministries, Inc.
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program designed to alleviate poverty in communities across the country. Metropolitan Ministries’ VISTA project, Tampa Bay Homeless Outreach, aims to generate resources that enhance and expand housing programs and supportive services for people experiencing poverty and homelessness.
This is not a salaried position; this is a year-long service position that receives a bi-weekly stipend, education award, health insurance, and other benefits.
VISTA members serving at Metropolitan Ministries will receive orientation and ongoing professional development, trauma-informed care training, free meals daily (when serving on-site), and assistance with locating affordable housing (upon request). Members will expand the operations of a non-profit organization serving 100,000 people annually with food, clothing, emergency shelter, affordable housing, childcare, and elementary school, counseling and case management, employment and adult education services, health and wellness services, and access to community resources.
The Event Coordinator VISTA will plan, manage, and execute events and fundraisers that support MM’s mission of caring for people who are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless. The coordinator will also be responsible for creating new events and developing resources and partnerships to enhance fundraisers.
Service Term: 365 days
Days/Hours: Full time; this position is 40 hours/week.
- Lead, manage, and coordinate up to 3 new program events including logistics and details in accordance with the Program team’s vision as outlined on the event request form.
- Assure events operate smoothly by managing venue sourcing, communication, volunteer management, set up and breakdown, and onsite event assistance.
- Document processes and develop event planning checklists for all Metropolitan Ministries Fundraising events.
- Develop and maintain new and existing relationships with event vendors and partners
Position Requirements and Specifications:
- AA degree in related field or equivalent work experience (Event Management, Hospitality Management, Communications, Public Relations, Customer Service).
- Friendly, customer service experience preferred. Experience planning an event (whether that be through a previous job, an internship, volunteer opportunity, clubs/organization, etc.) is required.
- Reliable transportation required.
- Must be a US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), or someone legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
- Be able to successfully pass a criminal background check
- Must be available for full-time working hours for 1 full year.
- VISTA members must be able to pass a Level 2 Background Check
- Requires understanding of poverty, a high degree of maturity, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work and communicate with people in a professional and diplomatic manner.
- Excellent written communication skills. Excellent oral skills, including phone presence. Must be able to communicate effectively in English. Ability to plan and organize work and handle job-related matters in a professional manner. Critical thinking, problem-solving and good time management skills are necessary. Must be able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines. Must be able to work independently and as a team player.
- Computer and office equipment literate. Knowledge of web-based research tools and Microsoft Office is required.
- Must demonstrate maturity and sensitivity to issues of faith, culture, and other sources of diversity.
- Stipend of $675.08 (gross before taxes) paid bi-weekly for term of service
- Healthcare Benefit and Telehealth
- Choice of Education Award or Stipend ($6,345 for Education Award or $1,800 for Stipend)
- Forbearance on qualified student loans and interest accrual payments while serving (taxable)
- Three meals are offered daily at no cost to the member
- Relocation and Settling In Allowance for those moving more than 50 miles for service
- Non-Competitive Eligibility Status
- Access to daily meals at no cost to member
- Childcare assistance (if qualified)
- Professional development and training opportunities
- 20 days for Personal/Sick Leave
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
2002 North Florida AvenueTampa, FL 33602
August 19, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME