1 person is interested
Volunteer to Help Seniors- Medicare Counselor - Caribou County
ORGANIZATION: SHIBA (Senior Health Insurance Benefits Advisors)
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
Are you interested in helping others in our community?
- Are you tired of hearing from friends how an advertisement seems too good to be true?
- Have you heard about people not understanding what is happening when moving to Medicare?
- Do some people just do what their friend or family member said to do?
- These are confusing times!
The SHIBA program is looking for new volunteer counselor team members who are compassionate, good listeners and love to learn new things. SHIBA volunteers are certified and trained to advocate for seniors, advise on Medicare options, relieve the confusion about Medicare and raise awareness about SHIBA education and expertise in our community. SHIBA volunteer Medicare counselors are eager to learn information and love to share their expertise with their community citizens. They are smart and great with talking to people and love getting to work directly with members of our community. No prior Medicare knowledge is required. Our full-time staff Coordinators will support you and ensure continued education for your success. We work with varying schedules and situations. We are always looking for bi-lingual (Spanish) counselors. SHIBA has virtual or in person volunteer opportunities available including assisting beneficiaries using telephone or web-based virtual meetings, option to use local office space may be available.
We have opportunities throughout the state so let your friends know!
- How much time for training is required? Training can be done at your own pace; normally a volunteer wants to "get to it" so we have seen people complete the studies in a week or some take a month. All training is conducted online so computer and internet access is needed.
- How long until I work with real people? Once you are certified you begin your hands-on counseling with support from your regional Coordinators. The opportunity to work in one of our local offices or conduct support virtually. Phone support is only a call away.
- How many hours do I need to commit? Your schedule is your schedule; if you can commit to one morning or afternoon once or twice a month that would be great! Some volunteers work weekly for a set period. Our schedule gets very busy during Annual Enrollment (October 15 to December 7 th) so additional time would be greatly appreciated but not required.
- Are there volunteer opportunities available in the evenings and weekends? If you wanted to counsel virtually, we could schedule appointments if the beneficiary desires; however, our staff do not work in the evenings or weekends so support would not be available.
- Can I take time off from volunteering? Of course! Many of our volunteers travel or take time to explore and do other things, some of our counselors only work during Annual Enrollment. If you are gone for a lengthy period, you may feel better refreshing some of the training.
- Do I need to have prior knowledge of Medicare? No prior knowledge is needed.
- Do I have to have computer skills? Yes, basic knowledge on how to use a computer is necessary.
About SHIBA (Senior Health Insurance Benefits Advisors)
700 W State St, 3rd Floor, PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720, US
SHIBA is Idaho’s free, unbiased resource that empowers Idahoans to make informed decisions about their Medicare coverage.
The SHIBA program is part of a nationwide network of certified Medicare counselors who provide seniors and disabled citizens with free and unbiased information, and assistance with Medicare. We do not sell insurance, recommend policies, agents, or specific companies. Instead, we provide clarity to people who are often desperate to understand the complex Medicare system and the many choices available to them.
We train and certify Medicare counselors in every county in Idaho. Our volunteers are often become their community’s go-to Medicare expert and many say this is one of the most rewarding jobs they’ve ever had.
Caribou County areaSoda Springs, ID 83276
August 24, 2023
- Customer Service
- Adult Education
- Community Outreach
- Basic Computer Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible with your schedule (3 - 6 hrs. per mos. or more!)