5 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION
Please visit the new page to apply.
5 people are interested
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Communications Intern to join our incredible team in Chicago, IL. Alongside members of the Marketing & Communications team, the intern will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
The intern will assist the American Lung Association, Western Division staff to execute marketing and communications activities to gain experience in the field of communications.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before an unpaid internship begins, documentation from an accredited college or university will be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credit.
This unpaid internship position requires a minimum time commitment of 15 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This position is for the Fall 2022 Semester and must be completed by the end of the fall academic term.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing media monitoring platforms, social media platforms and Microsoft Office applications.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Assist with general administrative support for communications to gain exposure to specific events terminology.
- Assist in the development of media materials such as press releases and media alerts, facts sheets and talking points, and work to develop compelling media pitches and story angles.
- Assist in compiling media clips, updating media lists, developing communications reports, and executing tasks in communications plans.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute communications efforts for events, programs and advocacy efforts for teams throughout the Western Division.
- Gain a basic understanding of media monitoring and social media platforms.
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing the best practices for media relations, including media planning, developing media materials, pitching media, following up and compiling communications reports.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for American Lung Association fundraising events, educational programs and advocacy efforts.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
- Must be working towards a bachelor’s degree in Non-Profit Management, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in public relations, communications, marketing, non-profit management, or related field
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency - Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form and are also required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
In an e-mail, include a cover letter and resume to (reference the EXACT title and intern number in the subject of email):
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
About AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION
55 W WACKER DR., STE 1150, CHICAGO, IL 60601, US
The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research. For 115 years, we have led the fight for healthy lungs and healthy air, whether it's searching for cures to lung diseases, keeping kids off tobacco, or fighting for laws that protect the air we all breathe. Our Mission: To save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease. Our Vision: A world free of lung disease. Our Strategic Imperatives: •Defeat lung cancer. •Improve the air we breathe so it will not cause or worsen lung disease. •Reduce the burden of lung disease on individuals and their families. •Eliminate tobacco use and tobacco-related diseases. •Accelerate fundraising and enhance organizational effectiveness to support the urgency of our mission.
Breathing is essential to life. From our first breath to our last, every breath counts. That's why the American Lung Association is dedicated to supporting healthy lungs and clean air, making an impact in your community and across the nation.
55 West Wacker DriveSuite 1150ChicagoChicago, IL 60601
August 17, 2022
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Background Check
- This position is for the Fall 2022 Semester and must be completed by the end of the fall academic term.