Editors (Various teams and positions)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: DG Sentinel
Who We Are
The DG Sentinel (The Do Good Sentinel) is a revolutionary online magazine designed to publish authentic voices around the world. In these trying times, there is a lot of media noise to filter through, causing many readers to be left out of important conversations or underrepresented, leaving their voices and their issues to fall through the cracks, unheard. The DG Sentinel wants to change this.
Led by a dynamic majority-minority team, the Sentinel has already attracted world-class writers and editors. Initial sections will focus on mental health, career development, education, lifestyle and health, relationships, politics, and fiction, plus a once a week feature on people doing good in the world.
Throughout the growth and development of the DG Sentinel, we will continue to seek out people who aim to change the world, no matter where they are coming from. In doing so, we will hope to inspire others to do good as they read through our magazine.
We plan to have a huge public launch in 2023.
Thus, our goals are:
- To capture voices on the ground from around the world, such as stories from Ukraine, Nigeria, China, India, and more.
- To share authentic personal stories, insights, and advice from people who have lived through depression, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and other serious mental health conditions. (The Sentinel will be supported by parent nonprofit Dweebs Global’s Mental Health Department and their top-notch research wing.)
- To focus on education and career development advice and insights for international students, first generation college students, and young adults looking for alternatives to higher education.
- To capture stories and credible research about chronic illness, women’s health issues, and doctor-patient relationships, especially for people of diverse groups. (The Sentinel will be supported by Dweebs Pink, a team focused on inclusive health reform for people with uteruses.)
- To focus on scientifically supported health and wellness coverage for everybody.
- To highlight style and beauty trends from different cultures and for different skin colors.
- To, above all, ensure that voices on important issues are heard from Asia, Africa, and South America, as much as they are heard from the United States and Western Europe.
We are looking for enthusiastic and experienced volunteer part-time Senior Editors, Deputy Editors, and Assistant Editors who would like to join our DG Sentinel Magazine team and participate in the foundational stages of the publication process. The Assistant Editor would support the deputy editor(s) to administer and produce various publications in various sections of our DG Sentinel Magazine.
From an administrative perspective, your duties might include delegating work on projects, mediating disagreements between Editors, organizing and leading department meetings, and enforcing schedules and deadlines. From an editorial perspective, meanwhile, your duties might include developing story ideas, assigning stories to Writers, writing articles, copyediting manuscripts and proofs, and liaising with Graphic Designers to develop layouts and designs.
Often, Senior Editors are in charge of 2-3 departments or "sections" within our publication. The senior editor supports the editor-in-chief by being in the office day-to-day to manage the rest of the editorial teams and ensure deadlines are met. He or she also works with the design team to manage the production of each issue. Senior Editors will also work on promoting our efforts through social media, interviewing new volunteers and staff, and maintaining an evaluative process of staff development.
Deputy Editors are in charge of one section. Current openings are for Mental Health, Education, Relationships and Lifestyle, and Art. If interested, Deputies may be promoted to Senior Editor over time. We need our deputies to hit the ground running. Deputy editors do most of the recruiting of articles from writers and then maintaining the workflow of article reviews for weekly and monthly publications. They may also work more one-on-one with assistant and junior editors to help them develop skills, while the Senior Editor is focused on keeping everyone on track to meet weekly deadlines.
Assistant Editors support Deputy Editors and therefore will belong to one section of the magazine. If interested, assistant editors may also be promoted to Deputy Editor over time.
All editors will need to maintain weekly meetings and minutes and complete weekly tasks necessary to launch the magazine. In addition, as we are an all-volunteer org and this is a volunteer position,
- We are looking for a commitment of 6+ hours a week.
- We are looking for a minimum commitment of 1 year.
- You could be one of the highest ranked people in a fast-growing and well-connected org, so you must be ready to lead.
- We require that you support racial equality, gender equality, disability rights, LGBTQ+ rights, and human rights for all.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Dover, DE 19901
August 16, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH