CALL FOR LEADERS: ECUADOR COUNTRY SPECIALIST
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Amnesty International USA - Grassroots Leadership & Engagement
Amnesty International USA seeks a volunteer Country Specialist to help monitor the human rights situation in Ecuador and support in mobilizing action to promote and protect human rights in these countries. AIUSA’s Country Specialists serve as country experts and strategists and are part of a corps of volunteer leaders known as the Coordination Group program, which is organized by sub world region.
The Ecuador Specialist will join AIUSA’s South America Coordination Group (also known as Cogroup), which consists of skilled, dedicated specialists working closely with AI staff and others to advance human rights in the South American region. This volunteer position is an exciting opportunity to contribute your human rights passion and expertise while leveraging and expanding your skills. You’ll get training and support by AIUSA and be part of a community of activists advancing human rights in Ecuador.
As Ecuador Country Specialist, you’ll work with partners to:
- Routinely monitor the political and human rights situation in Ecuador, with a solid understanding of AI’s policy and specific concerns pertaining to Ecuador.
- Develop and implement action strategies for Ecuador in coordination with Amnesty International’s researchers and campaigners around the world and the Advocacy Director of Americas.
- Provide general assistance, information, and actions to AIUSA members and activists seeking to work on issues related to human rights in Ecuador.
- Assist the organization in developing and maintaining contacts with counterparts in other human rights organizations, solidarity groups and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with AIUSA Advocacy Directors on any aspects of AIUSA’s legislative work pertaining to Ecuador i.e. communicating with US State Department desk officers, US embassies abroad, foreign embassies in Washington DC and consulates throughout the US.
- Serve as AIUSA’s liaison to colleagues working on Ecuador at Amnesty’s International Secretariat.
You're the ideal Ecuador Country Specialist candidate if you have these qualifications:
- Based in the United States, willing to commit to the role for a minimum of two years.
- Substantive knowledge of human rights issues and trends in Ecuador.
- Familiar with advocacy or research relating to the rights of civilians in conflict, women, peace & security, and/or minority rights.
- Experience with grassroots campaigning and/or Amnesty International.
- Familiarity with international human rights standards.
- Experience studying or supporting civil society, human rights, gender equality, LGBTI rights, or fundamental freedoms in Ecuador.
- Comfortable speaking out on human rights either on social media, in front of a public audience, by lobbying members of congress or through writing.
- Engaged and responsive.
- Knowledge and fluency of Spanish or other regional languages is preferred.
- Thoughtful, respectful, and committed team member dedicated to human rights in Ecuador and ready to join our team.
- Able to commit a sufficient amount of time to accomplish the tasks outlined above.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
600 Pennsylvania Ave. SE5th FloorWashington, DC 20003
August 12, 2022