Live-In Volunteer Residential Counselor
ORGANIZATION: WELLMET PROJECT INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
Though this is NOT A PAID POSITION, rentand food are paid for and the house is less than a 5 minute walk from the red line in Cambridge.
This is a live-in, ~20 hour/week position. Commitment is for one year of live-in status. An extension beyond this may be negotiated at the completion of the 12-month period.
The Wellmet Project is a unique program that operates group homes for people with mental illness. We are a transitional housing program, with a length of stay ranging from 6 months to 5 years. Our residents have a wide range of psychiatric diagnoses, but they share the common need for support, companionship, respect, and a commitment to recovery.
Counselors are on duty two nights per week (one weeknight and one weekend night) from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., and on call overnight on the evenings of their shifts (they may go to bed, and are only awoken in the case of a rare emergency). The schedule for the current position would be Tuesday and Saturday. Counselors are also required to: 1. be present for weekly staff and house meetings from 6 to 9 p.m. on Thursday nights; 2. work with up to three residents, to help them with their individual goals (for example, finding employment, applying to school, keeping a budget, being more social, etc.); 3. perform a weekly chore; and 4. cook dinner (to be served at 6 p.m.) once every one to three weeks (as part of a cooking team of two to three people).
During an evening shift, the primary duty of counselors is to facilitate social activities with residents and foster a fun and safe environment. They are also available to residents for 15-minute check-ins, and will sometimes be asked to observe someone take their evening medications, or to administer a drug or breathalyzer test. CPR and First Aid certificate will need to be obtained if you do not already have one. We will reimburse this expense.
A Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience is required. People who thrive in this role tend to have a strong sense of community, good boundaries, compassion, and good problem solving skills. This is a great environment for personal growth. We ask for a one year commitment from our live-in counselors. For more information, see www.wellmetproject.org.
If you are interested in the position, please submit your resume with a cover letter (one to two paragraphs) about your interest in this position
Resumes alone may not be viewed
During a regular week our protocols include daily disinfection of high touch surfaces and a requirement for all residents and staff to report any symptoms that could be covid, any exposures, and any positive covid tests to the Residence Director.
If any residents or staff test positive, there are a ton of protocols and they are adapted to the situation. Please ask about this during the interview if you would like more details.
06:00 PM to 07:00 AM
Tues AND Saturday. Active on duty is only 6-11pm, the rest is emergency only, but you must be in the house. You have your own bedroom.
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About WELLMET PROJECT INC
675 MASSACHUSETTS AVE, CAMBRIDGE, MA 02139, US
Wellmet Project Inc. is a supportive community that helps adults with psychiatric disabilities get back on their feet. We provide transitional housing, counseling, and consistent structure so you can return to living on your own.
Designed to bridge the gap between residential care and independent living, our transitional program caters to individuals who have made significant progress in their struggles with mental health and are ready for more responsibility. The environment remains safe and secure while easing the transition between a 24/7 service and a fully independent way of life.
Residents reside with roommates in single family homes that foster a community spirit. At the same time, however, this setting promotes a distinct sense of independence, similar to a more traditional living environment. The ultimate goal is to gain skills that help residents integrate into society or live with family members.
Our program helps residents by providing:
- Weekly goal meetings with a counselor
- Weekly assigned household chores
- Weekly house meeting with residents and staff
- Team meal preparation
- Morning, evening, and overnight live-in staff provide assistance and support
- Assistance with transition to independent living arrangements
- Treatment team meetings with other care providers, as necessary, to help develop treatment strategy
- Semi-structured milieu that ensures a qualitative involvement with staff and other residents, while also allowing the individual to make choices regarding the use of free time and individual activities
- Support in establishing and maintaining a day structure outside of the home
39 William StreetCambridge, MA 02139
August 10, 2022
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be able to do shifts from 6pm - 11pm active and 11pm - 7am inactive Tuesday (into Wednesday am) and Saturday (into Sunday am). Must be able to attend the staff meeting on Thursday 6pm-7:30pm and house meeting Thursday 7:30pm-9pm.
- Bachelors degree OR equivalent experience required. CPR/First Aid training required within the first month, fee to be reimbursed. Full Covid vaccination series required (in progress is accepted).