DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Home Fire Disaster Preparedness Volunteer NYC
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross - Greater New York Region
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
This position supports the Regional Disaster Cycle Services department. Each year, the Red Cross responds to an average of more than 60,000 disasters, the vast majority of which are home fires. With our coalition partners, we are working to help reduce death and injuries from home fires in high-risk communities. With your participation, we have the opportunity to make a difference in our communities and save lives tragically lost due to home fires. The Home Fire Campaign aims to save lives by installing smoke alarms and educating residents about home fire risk by providing home-safety checklists and plans in vulnerable neighborhoods. The purpose of this position is to implement Home Fire Campaign programming. Depending on the local situation, work may be done virtually or in-person.
Apply at https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=lead&a=49600&h=236&p=982003
The Preparedness Division provides appropriate preparedness programming within a community to assist community members to prepare for home fires and other disasters.
This position is responsible for the tasks involved to implement the preparedness program including:
- Support the annual preparedness goals, Regional Disaster Officer (RDO) objectives, and regional/chapter plan for preparedness programming through participation in meetings, projects, and local preparedness activities;
- Execute assigned projects and local preparedness activities according to the Home Fire Campaign activities (canvassing, fire prevention and safety education, smoke alarm installation, documentation, etc.) you are trained to do.
- Complete tasks such as implementing preparedness activities, meeting with partners to build relationships, conducting inventory, and procuring or receiving necessary preparedness supplies.
Willingness to comply with Red Cross COVID-19 policies for in-person volunteer activities.
- follow directions and implement requests received from supervisor with little or no supervision, required
- adapt to change, negotiate compromise, and tolerate ambiguity, required
- build effective relationships with others who can help with work related goals; required
- be sensitive in human interactions to diversity inclusiveness, required
- Disaster Cycle Services: An Overview (Required)
- Everyone's Welcome (Required)
- Red Cross Volunteer Orientation
- Complete all relevant online/ in-person training and review all relevant preparedness program materials that are posted on The Exchange.
Advancement within the disaster workforce, mentoring opportunities, develop technical expertise in preparedness programming, develop leadership skills, build skills through training provided.Length of Appointment
Our local Home Fire Preparedness Campaign initiative focuses on the installation of 100,000 smoke alarms within 2 years. Volunteers may remain active as long as they choose in an HFPC role or train toward another line of service.
About American Red Cross - Greater New York Region
520 West 49th Street, New York, NY 10019, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether itﾒs one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
520 West 49th StNew YorkNew York, NY 10019
May 10, 2023
- General Education
- Disaster Response
- Adult Education
- Home Repair
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Must be 18 or above. Driver's License PREFERRED with ability to drive vehicles up to 8 passenger vans and the ability to drive during the day or night Comfortable climbing stairs and carrying materials weighing up to 20lbs. 8-hour s