DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Volunteer as a Youth Preparedness Presenter- Pillowcase Project
ORGANIZATION: AMERICAN RED CROSS
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Save lives and prevent injury by providing leadership and/or support to Disaster Cycle Services team members through The Pillowcase Project. The Pillowcase Project is a national youth preparedness program offered by Red Cross regions across the country. The 40- or 60-minute presentation provides emergency preparedness education to youth in grades 3-5 (ages 8-11) in school classrooms and other settings.
Numerous tools have been developed for this program including a standardized curriculum, workbook, quizzes, and activities which have been carefully constructed with the help of curriculum and hazard experts. Many tools for presenters have been developed to foster consistency and fidelity to the program goals and objectives. The highly interactive presentation addresses home fire safety, local natural hazards, psycho-social coping skills, and household preparedness steps like making a plan and a kit.
Volunteer roles include either being a presenter, presentation assistant, administrative support, or presenter trainer!
- Initial Presenter and Project training (4-10 hours)
- 2-hour commitment per presentation (1 hour set up/clean up and 1-hour presentation), not including picking up and dropping off materials from the office, commuting to and from the presentation site, or any additional tasks completed at the office.
- Virtual Presentations span up to an hour per session
Seeking Presenters to facilitate 1-2 presentations per month.
Willingness to comply with Red Cross COVID-19 policies for in-person volunteer activities.
Volunteer roles include either being a presenter, presentation assistant, administrative support, or presenter trainer. Depending on which volunteer role you choose, your qualifications will vary. All volunteers are expected to be:
- Enthusiastic about the American Red Cross mission and programs
- Fluency in basic computer skills; adaptable to new systems
- Demonstrated respect and recognition of the role and the responsibilities of others; highly collaborative
- Communicates effectively both in writing and verbally
- Interests in expanding Red Cross capabilities through teaching and empowering others
- Reliable, punctual, good time management skills
- Must be able to meet all background check requirements imposed by the Red Cross and any imposed by local school jurisdictions
- Completion of all required training
About AMERICAN RED CROSS
2825 Emerywood Parkway, Richmond, VA 23294, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
Multiple locations Charlottesville, VA 22901
August 8, 2022
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Safety & Disaster Education
- Child Development
- Basic Computer Skills
- Public Speaking
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- Up to 2 hours monthly