AmeriCorps Member, American Red Cross
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: AmeriCorps - American Red CrossAmeriCorps Member, California AmeriCorps Disaster Team
Recent graduate? Veteran? Or looking for an opportunity to explore a new career path?
Our AmeriCorps program is looking for passionate individuals who want to make a significant impact on others through public service while gaining professional experience in a meaningful way.
AmeriCorps is a short-term, national service opportunity that involves working with non-profit agencies to meet the critical needs of communities. The American Red Cross hosts a state-wide AmeriCorps program in California that focuses on engaging volunteers, educating communities on emergency readiness, and assisting those who have been affected by disasters. Our AmeriCorps members dedicate 1,700 hours of service in exchange for leadership and professional development, a modest stipend, and a $10,000 education award.
Location: Positions available in Camarillo, Bay Area, Fresno, Los Angeles County, Sacramento, Redding, Santa Ana, and Riverside. This is an in-person role (travel in the region is required)
- Identify and conduct outreach within the communities we serve and partner locations to recruit a diverse pool of volunteers
- Complete volunteer intake and screening and assist volunteers in navigating the onboarding process to engage as a disaster services volunteer
- Support the preparedness of community members, particularly under-served populations, through the delivery of preparedness presentations and home fire campaign events. Members will be expected to primarily recruit, onboard and supervise volunteers in the delivery of these programs as well as deliver presentations themselves
- Support the recovery of individuals impacted by local and national disasters through engagement in our Disaster Action Team, Client Care program, and disaster response operations. Members will be expected to primarily recruit, onboard and supervise volunteers in the delivery of these services as well as respond themselves when called upon
- Disaster Team members are required to deploy at the behest of the California Service Commission for up to three weeks and within 48 hours' notice. Duties may include distributing emergency supplies, staffing shelters, managing volunteers, conducting damage assessments, etc. The program covers all expenses for deployments
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Must be able to serve approximately 40 hours per week, from 9/19/2022 to 7/28/2023
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Holds a High School Diploma or GED
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Applicants who currently reside outside of California should be prepared to relocate if selected for the position
- Able to deploy with only a 48-hour notice and for up to 3-week increments to assist with disaster response
- Experience working with volunteers
- Willingness to serve outside of regular business hours, including evenings and weekends
- Strong leadership and communication skills, capable of collaborating with diverse groups of people both digitally and in-person
- Self-motivated and capable of managing multiple, competing priorities and deadlines
- Team-oriented and willing to help others without being directed to do so
- Comfortable with public speaking and passionate about community outreach
- Excellent ability to navigate problems with energy and a positive attitude, flexible when priorities change
- Process driven and able to navigate different virtual platforms/technology
- Previous experience as a Red Cross or youth volunteer is a plus
- Bilingual language skills in [insert language] are not required but are highly desired
- Invaluable experience with a nationally and internationally respected humanitarian organization
- The opportunity to build your network and accrue professional development skills, including communication, project management, leadership ability and interpersonal effectiveness
- Extensive opportunities for Red Cross and Emergency Management training
- A bi-weekly stipend of $1,108.70 (before taxes), health, dental and vision coverage, and childcare assistance for those who qualify. Members may also be eligible for CalFresh benefits.
- Federal student loan forbearance during the period of service. Accrued interest on those loans will also be paid with the successful completion of the program
- AmeriCorps members who successfully complete a full-time, 1,700-hour service term are eligible to receive a combined $10,000 Education Award to use for educational expenses at an eligible institution, to repay qualified student loans or both
To apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/americorps-redcross
For more information on service through AmeriCorps, visit: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/what-americorps
NON-DISCRIMINATION PUBLIC NOTICE: This program's recruitment is conducted without regard to race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, gender, religion, or political affiliation.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
August 2, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME