DONATE TO THIS
14 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: MUSEUM OF HIDDEN HISTORY/HIDDEN HISTORY CENTER
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
14 people are interested
Volunteers will assist with organizing and cataloging the documents in the Hidden History Center collection. This involves sorting through boxes of intriguing historical records, placing related documents in files, and creating lists of the folder names, so that they can be entered into a searchable database. Currently, we are delving into boxes of materials related to such subjects as Capitalism, Civil Liberties, the Cold War, Intelligence Networks, Native American Rights, Political Assassinations, Terrorism, and the Vietnam War. So far, there are over 600 hanging file folders on various subjects! We are also shelving books in alphabetical order in our McGehee Intelligence Library. Working on-site with Director Marilyn Tenenoff, at 2915 North George Street, Suite 2, in York, PA, volunteers can pick any three-hour shift between noon and 6 PM on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Other shifts might also be possible.
01:00 PM to 04:00 PM
Shifts are on Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday, any 3 hours between noon and 6 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
More opportunities with MUSEUM OF HIDDEN HISTORY/HIDDEN HISTORY CENTER
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About MUSEUM OF HIDDEN HISTORY/HIDDEN HISTORY CENTER
2915 NORTH GEORGE STREET, SUITE 2, YORK, PA 17406, US
The Museum of Hidden History is a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Its overarching mission is to educate the public about little-known aspects of American history, alternative perspectives on history, and actively hidden and newly-emerging history. Our central project is the Hidden History Center, a library and research facility located in York, Pennsylvania, entirely staffed by volunteers. We are striving to create a dynamic information hub. Our target population includes students of history, economics, and social and political science in Central Pennsylvania, and worldwide audience through our website. The Center is based on the collection of the late John Judge, an internationally-acclaimed researcher, writer and speaker, as well as a lifelong anti-militarist and alternate historian. His collection includes over 700 boxes of books and papers on subjects such as political assassinations, covert government activities, the military-industrial complex, peace activism and civil liberties.
Our programs at the Hidden History Center include:
- Internships: We are extending our internship program to enrich the educational experiences of students near York, Pennsylvania. Students can obtain college course credits as they work on-site at the Center, organizing and cataloging the documents in our collection.
- Website Development: We are continually upgrading and expanding our website. More articles on little-known history subjects are constantly being added.
- Collections Management: We plan to hire a firm to inventory our books. We are itemizing the documents in our collection, and we plan to purchase collections management software soon.
- Outreach: We are developing an e-mail newsletter offering insights into hidden history topics; we plan to arrange a seminar or panel discussion for students at York College; we offer email and "snail mail" updates on our activities; and we continue to develop our social media platforms.
2915 North George StreetSuite 2York, PA 17406
May 27, 2023
- Library Sciences
- Administrative Support
- Data Entry
- Internet Research
- Must be at least 16
- Volunteers would work one or two 3-hour shifts per week, with weeks off whenever needed.
- Curiosity and a love of history are the primary requirements. Volunteers need to be organized, detail-oriented and respectful of historical documents and books.