11 people are interested
Volunteer Screening Committee Member
ORGANIZATION: International Ocean Film Foundation
Please visit the new page to apply.
11 people are interested
IOFF Screening Volunteer Committee Member Position Description and Application
As the International Ocean Film Festival (IOFF) is the world’s premier international film festival of all things ocean celebrated annually in April in a four-day event, featuring on average 50+ films. We are seeking a diverse and dynamic group of two to three additional volunteers to join our Screening Committee, the esteemed group of people who assist in the selection and programming of films for our annual film festival.
Qualified candidates are those who love film and have some knowledge and understanding of the art and craft of filmmaking, and appreciation of the power of film to educate and motivate people to a deeper involvement in ocean conservation. They should have past working experience in the film industry or a marine related field, academic involvement, or a background in the marine sciences, water recreation, or other ways in which we interact with our Blue Planet. Our film categories include ocean adventures and exploration, marine science, environment, conservation, innovation, wildlife, and ocean sports.
Each year the Screening Committee curates the official selections for the festival based on select criteria. These are shown at the film festival as well as throughout the year as part of our Special Screenings and/or our Traveling Program. As a Screening Committee member, you will preview film submissions and be a part of the screening process that determines which films will be featured at the 2024 IOFF. The screening process runs from September 2023 to March 2024.
Submissions are viewed individually online and rankings are entered onto a shared document, then discussed in person as a group. During the festival season, the Committee meets biweekly on Monday evenings from 6pm - 9pm at the IOFF offices in the Presidio, or other convenient location in San Francisco to discuss film submissions. Three additional programming meetings will take place in January of 2024. A light dinner is provided at meetings.
Screening Committee members receive an All-Access Festival Pass (includes all films, side events during the film festival) and an Official 2024 IOFF T-Shirt, and a chance to participate in a fun engaging environment while protecting the ocean.
The International Ocean Film Festival uses the following criteria to select its volunteer Screening Committee members:
- Prior knowledge and understanding of the art and craft of filmmaking; filmmakers are welcome!
- Experience in a marine-related field, or a background in marine sciences, and familiarity with ocean issues is desirable
- A willingness and ability to analyze films critically and objectively with a diverse audience in mind (aware that genre, merit, and even content may extend outside of their own preferences, tastes, and/or beliefs).
- A commitment to watch each film assigned in its entirety.
- A commitment to meet deadlines for watching and rating films.
- An open-minded, generally positive approach to film and respect for the commitment, work, and vision of every filmmaker.
- A willingness to commit up to 8 hours weekly from September 2023 to March 2024 to watch the films independently or with your fellow Screening Committee members. This can vary significantly from week to week, since film lengths vary greatly, from short films (5 min. or less) to 1.5 hours.
- A commitment to meet biweekly in-person on Monday evenings (September - March) and to engage in an open, respectful, and constructive conversation of the films [with your fellow jurists] with other Screening Committee members.
- Prior attendance at, and familiarity with the IOFF is a plus.
- Applicants must reside in the Bay Area.
To be considered for the position, please send a cover letter, resume and/or LinkedIn profile to Cecilia Cordero, Film Festival Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org .
ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL OCEAN FILM FESTIVAL
Launched in 2004, the International Ocean Film Festival is the leading Bay Area ocean destination event of the year and the premier global film festival with a focus on ocean inspired films. The IOFF is a year-round ocean conservation organization, with a flagship four-day film festival held annually in April online and at various theaters throughout San Francisco and surrounding areas. The event features more than 50 independent films from around the world, visiting filmmakers, special guests, panel discussions and opportunities to engage with Ocean Hero Community Partners throughout the weekend. In addition, the IOFF hosts special screenings around the world throughout the year through our Traveling Program. The film festival also strives to engage the next generation of ocean conservationists by offering a Free Student Education Program and an International Student Film Competition for middle school and high schools students. At IOFF, we are united by a passion to protect our oceans, and we believe that the power of film is one of the best ways to bring people together and create change.
About International Ocean Film Foundation
Tides Thoreau Center, 1007 General Kennedy Drive #205, San Francisco, CA 94129, US
The mission of the International Ocean Film Festival is to be the premier global platform for ocean literacy and education through independent film.
The International Ocean Film Festival (IOFF), is the first and largest film festival focused on the ocean in the world.As a year-round ocean conservation organization the IOFF produces a multipole day in person film and lecture event that promotes awareness around the health of our oceans, and call to actions to protect it. Film programs include award winning independent films of all genres, on stage discussions with filmmakers and content experts, creating a unique public forum on the environmental, social, and cultural importance of the ocean's ecosystems, habitats and its resources. The IOFF has five main education initiatives to fulfill its mission:
- Global Online Student Ocean Film Program
- Free Student Ocean Film Field Trips
- International Student Film Competition
- International Traveling Program
- Annual Ocean Film Festival
IOFF will be celebrating it's 21st Anniversary on April 13-14, 2024 at Cowell Theater at Fort Mason Center for Arts & Culture in San Francisco, CA. With an expected attendance of 3,000 people, the IOFF serves as a beacon of hope and conversation for ocean lovers of all ages.
1007 General Kennedy Drive, Suite 205The PresidioThoreau Center for SustainabilitySan Francisco, CA 94129
July 26, 2023
- Visual Arts
- Environmental Science
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 18
- A willingness to commit up to 8 hours weekly from September 2023 to March 2024 to watch the films. A commitment to meet biweekly in-person on Monday evenings (September – March)
- Applicants must reside in the Bay Area. A willingness and ability to analyze films critically and objectively with a diverse audience in mind.