Adult Literacy Tutor (ESL and Citizenship)
ORGANIZATION: Vietnamese Association of Illinois
Please visit the new page to apply.
Want to become more involved in your community? Why not volunteer to teach English as a Second Language and Citizenship classes to new arrivals?
English as a Second Language instruction emphasizes language fluency and competencies that are relevant to the daily lives of the adult students served, while Citizenship classes help prepare immigrants to become American Citizens. Training is provided. Classes can be held in person or digitally.
The volunteer ESL and Citizenship tutors will be supported by the volunteer coordinator via email, Zoom. The volunteer coordinator will provide resources for tutoring sessions if needed.
- Available at least 1-2 hours per week
- Computer proficiency and Zoom
- Must have reliable internet connection
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be flexible, creative, and dependable
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Patience and flexibility
- Interest in working with immigrants in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and multi-ethnic environment
About Vietnamese Association of Illinois
5110 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640, US
Our Mission is to strengthen and perpetuate the unity and solidarity of the Vietnamese residing in the state of Illinois; to generate and implement the mutual assistance spirit among the Vietnamese ethnic group members.; to promote, support and develop cultural, social and educational programs to serve people in Illinois; and to foster the development and strength of various Vietnamese organizations in the state of Illinois.
VAI serves refugees and immigrants of any and all ethnicity. We are located in Uptown, an incredibly diverse region of the city. We offer a plethora of resources and services to our community. These include:
- Adult Education Classes (ESL/EL Civics/Citizenship/Computers)
- After school and Summer Youth program
- Homemaker care for the elderly
- Employment obtainment and training
- Citizenship obtainment counseling
- Refugee and immigrant rights advocacy and assistance
- Translation services (Vietnamese, Chinese, and Arabic)
640 East Saint Charles RoadCarol Stream, IL 60188
July 28, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Must be at least 18