NWNMCOG EDA Economic Development Associate VISTA
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: U.S. Economic Development Administration- Austin Office VISTA Program
This project will focus on the Gallup-McKinley Community of the Northwest New Mexico Council of Governments Economic Development District (EDD). Northwest New Mexico Council of Governments Economic Development District (EDD) partners with the U.S. Economic Development Administration to provide region-wide strategic economic development planning. There is a flexible start date from June-August 2022 and telework may be permitted. The VISTA will have the opportunity to focus on one community to build economic development capacity at a more in-depth level. The VISTA will work with their community to identify economic development needs and resources to meet those needs in an effort to attract higher-paying jobs and other opportunities. The overall goal is build capacity in rural, economically distressed communities to alleviate poverty, reduce unemployment, and improve quality of life. This project is sponsored by the Austin Regional Office (AURO) of the Economic Development Administration (EDA), and will be directly supervised by the Northwest New Mexico Economic Development District in Gallup, New Mexico. The overall EDA Mission is "to lead the federal economic development agenda by promoting innovation and competitiveness, preparing American regions for growth and success in the worldwide economy."
The VISTA will work directly with community leaders, gathering in-depth information about local economic development needs to help create jobs and improve quality of life in economically distressed communities. Over the course of the service, the VISTA will partner with the community to problem-solve, recommend economic development activities, and identify potential resources and collaborations for those communities. The economic development capacity built by the VISTA will provide the communities the tools to build job opportunities for community members and improve quality of life.Benefits
· The position provides a $1,350/month living stipend.
· Relocation Assistance
· Health Care Program
· Child Care
· Student Loan Deferment and Interest Forbearance
· Professional Development
· End of Service Award - After a successful year of service, VISTAs can choose to receive either a:
· $1,800 cash stipend or
· $6,345 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award that can be put towards student loans or pursuing further education.
· Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status - Once a VISTA successfully completes service that VISTA will receive one year of non-competitive eligibility for employment in the federal government. (This special hiring status enables the former VISTA to apply for federal jobs with the advantage of not having to go through the standard public competitive selection process.)
· Access to a large AmeriCorps Alumni network.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
106 West Aztec AvenueGallup, NM 87301
July 26, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME