6 people are interested
Non Profit Board Member
ORGANIZATION: Strengthen Teens and Reach Inner-city Vital Environments
Please visit the new page to apply.
6 people are interested
STRENGTHEN TEENS & REACH INNER-CITY VITAL ENVIRONMENTS (STRIVE) is a not-for-profit organization committed to generating opportunities for New Jersey’s economically disadvantaged youth. Founded in 2009 at the peak of Newark's gun violence, STRIVE now offers a variety of programs tailored to the neighborhoods it serves. Each program fosters accountability, independence, and creativity to contribute to a brighter future and has served more than 4,500 students and their families in the greater Newark area over the last decade. The STRIVE team is pleased to partner with Rutgers University-Newark, Newark Public Schools, Marion Bolden Center, Operation Pathways, The Newark City of Learning Collaborative (NCLC), The Newark College Institute (NCI), Newark Youth One Stop Summer Employment, Abbot Leadership Institute/Youth Media Symposium, East Orange Salvation Army and the Union County Youth Services Commission. STRIVE’s current programs include After-School Enrichment, Summer Scholars and the Right-Track Enrichment Program serving Essex and Union Counties.
STRIVE is currently looking for professionals to join it's Board of Trustees. Board members form part of the governing body of STRIVE. They are committed to the long-term interests of the organization and meet regularly to oversee and direct business operations, set policies, approve business decisions, evaluate executive performances, and fulfill fiduciary responsibilities .
Each Board member performs duties that promote STRIVE’s mission and increase public awareness about the services that STRIVE provides.
- Provide oversight for STRIVE operations, finances, legal compliance and governance
- Meet the annual give/get minimum by actively engaging your network in conjunction with STRIVE's fundraising initiatives
- Prepare for and attend board and committee meetings
- Chair or serve on at least one Board committee
- Maintain confidentiality regarding STRIVE’s clients and staff matters
- Participate in numerous STRIVE activities to stay connected to clients, experience what makes STRIVE special, and contribute to the community
- Deep interest in the development of urban youth and communities
- Experience with fundraising
- Collaborating with team members
- Good attention to detail
- Vision and mission oriented
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Strengthen Teens and Reach Inner-city Vital Environments
PO Box 166, Orange, NJ 07018, US
To empower and equip adolescents for a productive future through developing and nurturing their leadership, intellectual, and artistic abilities.
STRIVE is a not-for-profit organization geared towards adolescent development in which all programs and services are focused around the academic improvement, social development, and vocational preparation of inner-city youth. We operate in Essex and Union counties and the central element of our work at STRIVE is to support, empower, and train teens, which we seek to do in a variety of ways. When we work with youth, we are helping them today and breaking the cycles of poverty, delinquency, abuse and neglect.
TBDNewark, NJ 07102
July 24, 2022
- Executive Admin
- Administrative Support
- Program Management
- Business Development
- Professional Development
- Must be at least 25
- Board Members are expected to meet at least once per quarter for Board Meetings and participate in committee meetings as needed.
- This person should be available to meet with Board Members at least once per quarter and feel comfortable with promoting events and raising funds for the organization.