2 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: Street Sense Media
Please visit the new page to apply.
2 people are interested
Concerned about people who are unhoused in D.C.? Looking to make an immediate difference in the lives of vulnerable individuals? Volunteer at Street Sense! Our mission is to end homelessness in the Washington, D.C. area by empowering people in need with the skills, tools, and confidence to succeed.
Street Sense is a weekly newspaper sold throughout the D.C. metro area by our famous Street Sense vendors. We actively recruit people experiencing homelessness, people returning from incarceration, and people who have been shut out of other economic opportunities to become Street Sense vendors. As a Street Sense vendor, a person can sell the paper and keep all the proceeds, write for the paper, and access a top-notch case management team.
As a volunteer, you will distribute newspapers and Street Sense app payouts directly to our vendors. Once a week, for four hours, you will get to know our vendors as you assist them, all while supported by a team of experienced direct-service professionals.
Shifts are from 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Mon - Fri. You can choose which fits your weekly schedule the best! And you can change this selection as needed. Because our vendors deal with a lot of precarity in their lives, we ask that volunteers commit to at least six months with Street Sense.
- Greeting people arriving at the office and directing them to the appropriate department
- Paying vendors their app payouts in cash using a computer to record the transaction
- Selling vendors copies of the newspaper for cash using an iPad to record the transaction
- Being a first line of alertness to unusual activity
- Answering phones on the main phone line and transferring calls to appropriate departments
- Acting as a general source for Street Sense operations information
- Must be able to communicate clearly in English
- Must have a basic understanding of Windows-based computers
- Must have a basic understanding of iPhones/iPads
- Must have basic math and cash handling skills
- Should be able to navigate a multi-level office environment, including walking down hallways and using an elevator or stairs
- Should be able to lift and carry at least 20 pounds over 100 ft or use a dolly
- Experience working with people experiencing homelessness or other at-risk populations is preferable but not required
To apply, please email email@example.com your resume. Please include at least one reference for us to call.
For more info, please visit us on the web at www.streetsensemedia.org.
- 09:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- 12:30 PM to 04:30 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Street Sense Media
1317 G Street NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20005, US
Our mission is to end homelessness in the Washington, D.C. area by empowering people in need with the skills, tools, and confidence to succeed. Together we use a range of media platforms to raise awareness and spotlight solutions to homelessness in our community.
Street Sense Media creates content in print, theater, photography, audio, illustration, and more, all for the purpose of providing economic opportunity for and amplifying the voices of people experiencing homelessness. The content of our media center aims to challenge perceptions of homelessness and those it affects while creating common ground upon which we can build a stronger community.
Our innovative approach harnesses the abilities, aspirations, and hard work of men and women experiencing homelessness. We have long known that while housing and economic opportunity are distributed unevenly, talent and creativity are distributed equally, without regard to income or housing status.
In addition to the economic opportunities provided by our newspaper vendor program, Street Sense Media provides case management services to help the men and women we work with navigate the often complex bureaucracies toward permanent housing, employment, and physical and mental health care.
At Street Sense Media, we define ourselves through our work, talents, and character, not through our housing situation.
1317 G St. NWWashington, DC 20005
July 18, 2022
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training