Go Girls! Mentor - Burnaby
ORGANIZATION: Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland
Please visit the new page to apply.
Go Girls! Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds" is a group mentoring program that promotes positive self-esteem, confidence, friendships, active living, and much more. This program is intended for students in grades 4-7 and is open to female, female-identifying, transgender, non-binary, gender fluid, and two spirited individuals.
Go Girls incorporates fun, educational games and activities to stimulate relationship-building as well as self-reflection and group discussions about healthy living and issues that pre-teens face. Sessions usually have three components: (1) physical activity, (2) snack break, (3) activities related to feeling good about yourself
The program is facilitated by 2-3 volunteer mentors who are screened and trained by Big Sisters staff. Research-based curriculum is provided by Big Sisters, and we encourage our mentors to be flexible with programming in order to meet the emerging needs of participants.
To become a Go Girls! Mentor, you should be:
- 19-30 years of age (recommended)
- Female, female-identifying, transgender, non-binary, gender fluid, or two spirited individual
- Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Available at least one consistent weekday for the eight-week term during the program time (usually starting at 2:30pm or 3:00pm)
- Passionate about healthy living, physical activity, and self-esteem
- Reliable, resourceful, and interested in building relationships with children
As we work with vulnerable populations, it is strongly recommended that you are fully vaccinated or in the process of getting fully vaccinated.
Being a Go Girls! mentor, you will get the opportunity to:
- Improve your leadership, group facilitation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Gain experience working with youth and group management within a school environment
- Become part of the Go Girls! mentor community
Apply Now: https://www.bigsisters.bc.ca/become-a-go-girls-mentor/
About Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland
34 East 12 Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia V5T 2G5, CA
Enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Since 1960, Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland is a non-profit organization who has been enabling life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Our experienced caseworkers carefully match Little Sisters with female identifying, transgender or non-binary adult mentors (19 years+) who help young people realize their full potential, avoid risky behaviour and make healthy choices. We match girls, self-identifying, transgender or non-binary children and youth between the ages of 7 to 17 with a positive female role model, through our three mentoring programs. Our Big Sisters, Study Buddy and Go Girls Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds Program.
Service areas: Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, New Westminster, Surrey, White Rock, Delta, Tsawwassen and Ladner, Vancouver, North and West Vancouver.
City of BurnabyBurnaby, Canada
July 14, 2022
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- One consistent day a week during 8-week term
- Canadian resident for the past year (or be able to provide an International Criminal Record Check)