DONATE TO THIS
22 people are interested
Mentoring Moms and Dad's Program : Bigs & Littles NYC's New Initiative!
ORGANIZATION: Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
22 people are interested
COVID -19 UPDATE: PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING AND PROCESSING VOLUNTEERS. WE ASK THAT YOU ARE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19.
In 2019, Bigs & Littles NYC launched the "Mentoring Moms and Dads Initiative, a program that strengthens youth outcomes and helps moms/dads increase their ability to accomplish personal goals around academic and/or career, strengthening relationships and incorporating a healthier life-style for themselves and their families.
If you are interested in being a friend, guide and a support to a mother/father or guardian of a child in our Community Based Mentoring Program then this is the right volunteer opportunity for you!
Join a community who uplifts NYC families!
- The Mentoring Moms and Dad's program will follow a "community based" model, which provides our matches with the opportunity to participate in a 1:1 relationship. Mentoring Mom/Dad and Mentor will meet independently and within the community at-large.
- Overall, there is a 4-hour minimum monthly contact between in-person and phone/email/text, for a minimum of one year.
- Matches will build and maintain their relationship by engaging in weekly phone/email/text contact
- Mentoring Mom will also meet with their Mentor 1-2 times a month, for a minimum of one year.
Requirements for Bigs (Volunteer Mentor):
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Vaccinated against Covid-19
- Live within the NYC Metropolitan area
- Have a schedule conducive to meet for outings, 1-2 times month, for one year
- Maintain weekly contact with Mentoring Mom to help build relationship
- Maintain communication with Program Manager
- Participate in specialized programming
- Interested in working with a Mentoring Mom
- Bigs are responsible for financing all match outings. The agency encourages low cost activities to both limit the volunteer’s expenses AND to avoid setting unrealistic expectations.
Interested? Contact us...
- On the internet: BigsLittlesNYC/volunteers
- On the phone: 212-475-3291 x211
- On social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Mentoring not a good fit right now? Get in touch to learn how you can support us with volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, and other engagement opportunities at Bigs & Littles NYC.
5 More opportunities with Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring1 Review
About Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring
137 East 2nd Street, New York, NY 10009, US
Founded in 1902, Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring strives to transform the lives of children through one-to-one mentoring, while strengthening entire families in hardship.
In Bigs & Littles NYC’s keystone mentoring program, youth ages 7-19, are carefully matched with a Big Sister or Big Brother who serves as an adviser, role model, and adult friend. Mentoring matches meet twice monthly for activities such as enjoying a show or ballgame, working together on a service project, or spending time talking and exploring NYC. Matches are supported by life skills programming, crisis intervention, family support, and referral assistance as well as a dedicated Professional Program Manager to oversee and guide the match relationship. This mentoring model has been the core of Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring mission for over a century. Our goal is for all young people to be empowered to recognize, reach for and achieve their full potential. We know the program works: 100% of our kids avoid pregnancy, 100% avoid arrest, 93% are promoted to the next grade, 100% graduate High School and 100% matriculate into college or a training program.
137 East 2nd Street2nd FloorNew York, NY 10009
May 25, 2023
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 4-hour minimum monthly contact between in-person and phone/email/text, for a minimum of one year.