2 people are interested
Remote Adult Literacy Tutor
ORGANIZATION: Reading Connections, Inc
Please visit the new page to apply.
2 people are interested
This summer, Reading Connections is seeking 100 volunteers in 100 days to help cultivate literacy in our community. Sign-up and get trained by August 27th!
Position Title: Remote Adult Literacy Tutor
Purpose: Help adult, native-English speakers improve their language skills.
General Description: Did you know that 1 in 5 adults in Guilford County, North Carolina, struggles with basic literacy skills? That's almost 80,000 adults! Literacy is a fundamental skill that affects all areas of a person's life. Not being able to read or write in English hinders one's ability to get a job, thrive in a career, seek proper healthcare, and engage with their community. Our goal at Reading Connections is to achieve 100% literacy in Guilford County: a community with a competitive workforce, a successful school system, and a thriving citizenry. We seek to empower our students as they work towards their personal literacy goals, recognizing that gains in adult literacy also transform our community by reducing poverty, adding to the workforce, and creating new leaders for Guilford County.
Our Adult Basic Education (ABE) program is looking for dedicated volunteers to tutor native English-speaking students one-on-one and in small groups to improve their reading, writing, speaking, listening, math, technology, and employability skills. All necessary training and resources are provided!
- Access to Internet and computer or laptop
- Comfortable using online meeting platforms like Zoom, or willing to learn
- Willing to commit to 2-4 hours a week for 6 months
All volunteer tutors complete a two-hour training that qualifies them to tutor one-on-one or in small groups, either virtually via Zoom or WhatsApp. Additional training is offered, including Zoom training. Also, we invite all new tutors to shadow an online class. The time commitment for virtual tutoring is 2-4 hours per week.
Tutor training is conducted virtually via Zoom.
During virtual session training, you will:
- Learn more about our organization and the students we serve.
- Learn the basics of tutoring a non-native speaker.
- Explore best teaching practices for literacy instruction.
- Discover online resources to deliver remote education.
- Discuss additional volunteer opportunities, including a new Digital Literacy tutoring role.
After tutor training, you will:
- Receive detailed tutor manuals to support you on your journey.
- Get on the invite list for tutor socials & supplemental training.
- Have the option to shadow a virtual class at your request.
- Be matched with a student with similar availability.
If you're interested in making a life-long impact on adults seeking literacy instruction, this is the opportunity for you! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About Reading Connections, Inc
122 N. Elm Street, Suite 920, Greensboro, NC 27401, US
Our mission is to help adults live more independently by providing basic literacy services, to increase community awareness of adult literacy needs, and to serve as a resource for the provision of basic literacy services.
- One-to-One or Small Group Tutoring
- Basic Reading and Writing Assistance
- Help Learning English as a Second Language
- GED or High School Equivalency Preparation
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
July 12, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week for at least 6 months