Support the Human/Animal Bond in Oakland
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: East Bay SPCA
Position Overview: Are you interested in assisting pet owners in our community work through challenges they are facing with their animals? Join our HA Team for a chance to make a difference and be a part of a passionate team of people who assist humans and animals daily. If you enjoy connecting with and supporting community members consider lending your time. This volunteer opportunity will give first-hand experience inside the animal welfare field as it relates to advancing the human-animal bond. We are looking for volunteers that are passionate about increasing community access to veterinary care, pet food and supplies, and other resources to keep companion animals with their humans and out of shelters.
Volunteers work with the PFL Community Outreach Coordinator on all aspects of the PFL program, including reaching out to people in underserved communities to offer free to owner pet care resources, services, and information. The service model of the PFL program incorporates strategic door-to-door outreach, builds a consistent community presence, and cultivates long-lasting relationships with pet owners.
- Conduct ongoing community outreach to pet owners in our focus area of 94621 and 94603 zip codes.
- Assist the public with animal-related concerns applying holistic, case-management approach.
- Coordinate spay/neuter and other veterinary appointments and transport companion animals to and from clinics.
- Prepares transport vehicle before and cleans/sanitizes vehicle after
- Use East Bay SPCA transportation vans to deliver supplies to clients who do not have easy access to transportation;load and unload supplies.
- Transport animals confined in crates to and from veterinary appointments via client’s homes.
- Ensure completion of all required paperwork by pet owner and submit complete forms to the PFL coordinator, as assigned.
- Communicate with clients about their needs.
- Requires hands-on interaction with companion animals.
- Working with team of volunteer and / or paid staff, initiate discussions with individuals in the community share materials and information and field questions directed by staff.
Training & Support:
- One-on-one stafftraining is provided by the PFL Community Outreach Coordinator.
- This position reports to directly to the PFL Community Outreach Coordinator.
- Further, the Manager of Humane Advocacy and Volunteer Services Manager are available for questions and assistance.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- At least 18 years of age.
- Commit to a regular weekly shift.
- Proficient in basic computer skills including word processing, email, and using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people of varying background and cultures by adapting style and tactics to fit the audience while reserving judgment.
- Experience in an animal related field, including veterinary setting, and experience handling dogs and cats preferred.
- Ability to handle and lift animals and materials up to 40 pounds with reasonable accommodation.
- Experience assisting people with no income or low income in accessing resources.
- Excellent verbal and written communication along with active-listening skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm for the programs of the East Bay SPCA.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Work is performed within the Oakland community, as wall as the Oakland Shelter and Clinic.
- Ability to drive East Bay SPCA vans to transport animals and supplies to and from Shelter and client’s homes.
- Must be comfortable handling dogs and cats of all sizes and ages.
- Frequent walking, bending and stooping.
- Door to door outreach.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
8323 Baldwin StreetOakland, CA 94621
July 12, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKENDS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK