Crew Volunteer Info Session
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Habitat for Humanity GTA
Description & DetailsWould you like to help build homes in the Greater Toronto Area with Habitat for Humanity GTA? Is flexibility in your schedule important to you? Whether you have never picked up a hammer in your life or you are a contractor then Habitat GTA Crew Volunteer opportunity is for you!
Habitat GTA’s mission is to mobilize volunteers and communities to help working; lower income families build strength, stability, and self-reliance through affordable homeownership.
We are looking for volunteers to help with our upcoming build in Toronto. Join our CREW volunteer info sessions on that will be held on the following dates.
Saturday July 16, 2022 from 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday July 27, 2022 - 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday August 13, 2022 - 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday August 24, 2022 - 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday September 10, 2022 - 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m
What you need to know:
- Volunteers are not required to have prior building experience
- Onsite training is provided by our skilled Crew Leaders and Assistant Site Superintendent
- Volunteers are recommended to bring their own CSA approved, green label, steel toed boots, safety goggles and work gloves
- Volunteers must be a minimum of 16 years old to build
- Volunteers under the age of 18 require a waiver signed by a parent or guardian
- We build 12 months a year, Monday to Friday, shifts are 8 hours, from 8:00 am - 4:00pmShifts are self-scheduled via online registration
- Time Commitment:The shifts are from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.We request a minimum commitment of two shifts per month as part of the Crew program.
- Enthusiasm to learn how to use construction tools and equipment with training and supervision
- Ability to lift 20-30lbs
- Assist in providing a safe and healthy working environment
- Come with a willingness to learn from experienced volunteers and staff and to work as part of a team. A positive attitude, enthusiasm, flexibility and a sense of humour is always key! Tasks are not always glamourous, so be prepared to do a variety of things.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Attend all necessary Habitat GTA training sessions, provide on the job training and supervision for semi-skilled and unskilled volunteers
- Lead a group of volunteers, including homeowners, in the construction of simple, decent, affordable homes while upholding standards of safety, quality, and fun
- Assist in providing a safe and healthy working environment such as: use of equipment, personal protective equipment for volunteers, delegating work, maintaining a suitable working environment including preparing for weather, cleaning, tasks, etc.
- Ensure necessary tools are on the site for specific tasks and supervision of clean up, returning of tools and excess materials
- Have an understanding of the construction process; work in various phases of construction including framing, roofing, dry walling, etc.
- Have an understanding of the construction process; work in various phases of construction including framing, roofing, etc.
- Crew members perform tasks that require a level of skill and need to have the ability to quickly assess the abilities of volunteers. The Crew must be able to teach crew members proper construction techniques, answer their questions, show patience.
- Gain practical experience in skilled trades
- Meet new people and network with likeminded individuals
- Give back to your community and help provide affordable home ownership
How to Apply / ContactReady to get started in making a difference in the lives of families:
Click here to book Crew Information Session
Questions or if there is not a session coming up in calendar please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
155 Bermondsey RoadToronto, ON M4A 1X9Canada
July 12, 2022
- Human Resources Diversity
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME