English Program Designer - Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Fundación En Vía
English Program Designer and Coordinator Volunteer
Fundación En Vía
START DATE :ASAP
Fundación En Vía is a non-profit organization based in Oaxaca City, Mexico. Our mission is to promote women’s empowerment, the well-being of their families and the strengthening of communities through participatory programs that encourage the growth of income generating businesses and personal development. We work toward this mission through three main programs: Microfinance, Education and Responsible Tourism.
The English Program started in 2010 as an initiative of the volunteers to teach English in two of the communities that En Vía worked: San Jerónimo Tlacochahuaya and Teotitlán del Valle; since the we offer two classes twice a week: we teach on Mondays and Wednesdays in Tlacochahuaya and Tuesdays and Thursdays in Teotitlán del Valle. The classes are for anyone from the community who wants to learn English.
After 10 years, the tourism in Oaxaca is growing, with more foreign visitors going to the communities and more people from communities working in tourism activities, so that the interest to learn English is higher too. Unfortunately due to the pandemic , the english program had to be paused but at the same time that gave En Vía the opportunity to reflect on this program and reevaluate the direction it was headed to.
Fundación En Vía wants to act accordingly offering a course that provides a solid foundation of English Language.
So this year, now that the majority of the population has been vaccinated , we will formalize our English course, guaranteeing better language learning, with a curriculum appropriate to the context of our communities. It is a challenge for the English Program Designer , who will be a key piece to make it possibile.
The English Program Coordinator plays the main role in planning and managing our free English Program. You will be responsible for designing a proper English curriculum for our program.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to make a big impact , who is studying to become a Language Professor or someone who has experience designing English language curriculums.
A commitment to development work, interest in teaching, experience leading groups and the flexibility to work in a non-profit is essential.
- English Program Management:
The English Coordinator is responsible for writing the curriculum,choosing different teaching methodologies, and being able to provide helpful resources to volunteer teachers and being familiar with possible games and activities. The English Coordinator is in charge of providing materials and resources to the teachers and ensuring the program’s curriculum is being adequately used. The English Coordinator is encouraged to continue developing supporting materials and activities to supplement the curriculum as well.
Once the curriculum is finished, prior to the departure the English Program Designer will train the community English teachers based at the moment in Oaxaca.
- Promoting the English Program
- Planning and running the training for community English teachers.
- Manage and update database
- Keeping the material storage organized
- Provide support to teachers for planning their classes
- Continue developing supporting materials and activities for classes
- Collaborate in fundraising for the Program
- Attending team meetings ( En Via Staff)
- Support Responsible Tourism Program as a tourist guide, depending on Spanish/English level it would be as an Orientation Guide or Interpretation Guide
- Support with general activities of the organization (such as annual Artisans Fair, Day of the Death tours, En Vía big social meeting, etc.)
- Fluent English (oral and written) and advanced Spanish.
- Demonstrate commitment to social change and community development.
- College graduate or equivalent,
- Leadership experience managing staff and/or volunteers.
- High flexibility (conditions of transportation, supplies and volunteer services change weekly).
- Excellent people skills: outgoing, friendly, warm and professional.
- Ability and passion for building relationships with individuals from different backgrounds and multicultural origins.
- High organization, motivation and creativity.
- Good judgment, strong initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- An excellent communicator: with both young and adult learners, volunteers of all ages and backgrounds, community members and En Vía Staff.
Preferred Experience (but not required)
- Prior tutoring/teaching experience.
- Experience volunteering.
- Experience living abroad.
- Weekly commitment: From Monday to Friday (30-40 hours).
- Minimum 3 months (or longer).
- There is no cost to volunteer with our organization. However,volunteers are asked to pay for their own transportation to and from the communities, which is usually 40 pesos round-trip.
At this time, En Vía doesn’t provide assistance with housing or living costs, but we can give you recommendations of housing in or around the city.
Please note, applicants should plan to be in Oaxaca during the high tourist season including Day of the Dead (Oct 3rd - Nov 3rd), Guelaguetza (last two weeks of July) and Christmas/New Year season.
(*) We give more free days in order to compensate overtime for meetings or activities carried out outside the established working hours
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Oaxaca, Oax. 68000Mexico
July 8, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME