2 people are interested
4-H STEM Instructor/Mentor
ORGANIZATION: NC Cooperative Extension - Union County Center
Please visit the new page to apply.
2 people are interested
4-H STEM Instructor/Mentor/Intern
Purpose: To help youth gain mastery of a specific topic or skill through a 4-H special interest (SPIN) program focused on STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) through community partnerships within the Union County Public Schools and other community organizations using the First LEGO Explore and Challenge program.
Time Required: 75-100 hours total including planning, teaching youth, reflecting on what worked well or areas where improvement is needed, celebrating and recognizing learning, and meeting with 4-H Agent. Minimum of six hands-on, experiential learning sessions with community partners.
- Plan learning activities using existing curriculum based on 4-H STEM and robotics concepts
- Instruct activities and lessons using the existing curriculum based on 4-H STEM and robotics concepts
- Direct and guide youth as needed to help youth learn the skills necessary to achieve mastery of the topic
- Provide a sense of belonging to the youth by creating a welcoming environment
- Allow for independence and give youth opportunities for leadership roles in the group
- Document hours and experience to 4-H Agent
- Meet weekly with 4-H Agent to discuss lesson plans and support for implementation
- Travel to community partnership to implement the program
- Promote additional 4-H experiences available to 4-H participants
- Keep youth safe and develop a risk management plan for activities, if appropriate
- Celebrate the youth’s wins and challenges
- Complete North Carolina 4-H Volunteer screening process to become a registered volunteer - include application, references, and orientation
- Attend weekly meetings with 4-H Agent via virtual or in-person
- Commit to meeting at least six times with the youth
Target Dates: September 26, 2022 to November 21, 2022 or January 30, 2023 to March 27, 2023.
- Orientation and training
- 4-H Programming Team
- Materials and supplies
Report to 4-H Agent
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About NC Cooperative Extension - Union County Center
3230 PRESSON RD STE D, Monroe, NC 28112, US
North Carolina Cooperative Extension helps to strengthen our North Carolina families and communities.
Our mission and our work are dedicated to improving the quality of people's lives. We rely on research-based information to develop educational programs based on the issues and the needs of our communities and citizens. North Carolina Cooperative Extension is focusing its efforts on nine major goals implemented by the county field faculty and supported by university-based specialists.
3230 PRESSON RD STE DMonroe, NC 28112
July 5, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 75-100 hours during the duration of the experience
- • Complete North Carolina 4-H Volunteer screening process to become a registered volunteer • Attend weekly meetings with 4-H Agent via virtual or in-person • Commit to meeting at least six times with youth