Seeking volunteers for Long Term Care Ombudsman; monthly certification classes available
ORGANIZATION: ARISE Child and Family Service, Inc.
Please visit the new page to apply.
Seeking compassionate and dedicated volunteers to become certified Long-Term-Care Ombudsman. We have opportunities in Oswego, Onondaga, Cayuga and Cortland counties.
As a certified Ombudsman, you will regularly visit a local nursing home or other adult care facility to advocate for residents and help ensure they are receiving quality, person-centered care.
Role of volunteer Ombudsman:
- Provides a voice for residents of nursing homes , assisted living facilities , and other long term care settings.
- Help residents and their families understand and exercise their rights.
- Educate and empower residents to self-advocate.
- Lessen social isolation or loneliness many residents experience.
- Create your own schedule.
- Receives on-going training and support.
Volunteers receive free training to become a NYS Certified Ombudsman.
Training is held monthly over zoom.
Interview, background check and pre-class facility shadowing are required prior to the start of training.
If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of seniors, please contact:
Rebecca Alder, Ombudsman Program Director
About ARISE Child and Family Service, Inc.
635 James Street, Syracuse, NY 13203, US
ARISE's mission is to work with people of all abilities to create a fair and just community in which everyone can fully participate.
One of New York State's eight original Independent Living Centers, ARISE was founded in 1979 by advocates dedicated to the idea - which was revolutionary at the time - that people with disabilities should have equal rights. ARISE quickly grew to meet the demand for services, opening satellite offices in Onondaga, Oswego, and Madison Counties to more fully support people with disabilities living in Central New York.
Today ARISE has over 450 staff members who advocate for the interests of people with disabilities, and who work to deliver more than 40 different programs and services.
293 New York 104Oswego, NY 13126
August 14, 2023
- Conflict Resolution
- Basic Computer Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 Hours a week in a facility. Monthly paperwork and continuing education (18 hours a year).
- Must have computer and internet. Monthly meetings are held through Zoom.