Paid- Outreach, Training & Evaluation AmeriCorps VISTA with DC Public Schools
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Honey W. Nashman Center for Civic Engagement & Public Service
Come to the nation’s capital and George Washington University to help the District of Columbia Public Schools evaluate and measure the impact of school partnerships with local community organizations and government agencies.
With a strong record of developing reciprocal, respectful, active, and democratic partnerships, George Washington University (GW) in downtown Washington DC is seeking a VISTA to serve as an Outreach, Training and Evaluation VISTA in the Office of Out-of-School-Time Programs (OSTP) in the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS). The VISTA will increase the ability of OSTP to measure and ensure afterschool program quality during the school year and summer. The VISTA will help develop assessment tools and gather and analyze data related to programs and to community and student participation. The VISTA will work for one year with GW and DCPS staff and community members to build education-related knowledge, experience, community development, organizing, and communication skills. This is a full-time (40hrs a week) 12 month service term with the GW/DCPS AmeriCorps VISTA Program. The project term is based on the start date.
Benefits for Members:
Benefits include a monthly living allowance of $1,583 (before taxes), an education award ($6,495) or stipend ($1,800) at the completion of your term, health coverage, child care assistance, relocation reimbursement, deferral or forbearance of school loan repayments, personal and medical leave, potential eligibility for the Earned Income Tax Credit, and reimbursement for some other work-related travel expenses. You will also receive regular support, training, the chance to collaborate with other VISTAs in the program, and the unique benefits and opportunities of living and working in Washington, D.C.
A successful Outreach, Training and Evaluation VISTA will need to perform successfully:
- Ability to write succinct, grammatically-correct and engaging texts for newsletters
- Ability to collaborate on needs assessment, planning, and implementation of training events for DCPS staff
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and achieve goals
- Experience with data collection and assessment
- Ability to generate user-friendly reports and recommendations based on data
The successful VISTA candidate will have to perform:
- Visit afterschool program sites to gather information and document observations
- Write articles for monthly newsletters, edit other program communications, and develop communications for social media
- Prepare surveys of various stakeholder groups and analyze survey results
- Write reports, compile data for State and Federal reports, and disseminate findings
- Reach out to stakeholders through reports, meetings, training, and technical assistance
- Utilize survey data and other needs assessment measures to collaboratively plan for three professional development events per year
- Plan and implement event logistics for staff training (virtual and/or in-person)
Project goals and outcomes:
It is projected that the following impacts will accrue from the program:
- Improved capacity to gather data and assess program quality, related to DCPS out of school time programs
- On-time, comprehensive reporting to state and federal government agencies of program activity and outcomes
- Increased capacity of out of school time programs to affect students’ academic performance and engagement in varied enrichment experiences
- Identification of areas of strength and growth for DCPS out of school time programming
Special skills and knowledge:
The candidate should possess to meet the responsibilities, goals, and outcomes of this position:
- Data collection and analysis experience especially using Excel
- Ability to translate findings from data into practical guidance for stakeholders
- Prior experience in event planning
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills needed for stakeholder engagement and outreach
Terms of Service:
VISTA must be 18 years old; be U.S. citizens, nationals, or legal residents; and successfully complete criminal background checks. VISTA is a full-time, 12-month commitment. They are expected to be on call at all times, but typically work a 40-hour week. Political advocacy, organizing or demonstrations while on VISTA duty, or while perceived to be on duty, are prohibited.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
7169 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Washington, DC 20052
August 1, 2022
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME