STYLE SHOP VOLUNTEERS
DESCRIPTION: In Style Shop, students create their own custom-made fashions and accessories. Students begin with a variety of projects such as logo design, computer design, and basic screen printing. As they progress through these projects they learn to sew and do alterations, building all the skills necessary for creating quality fashions. In workshops with visiting artists, students pursue advance fashion skills they are interested in including knitting, dyeing, and advanced graphic design. After their initial training, students work with staff mentors to set their own goals which may include producing more complex designs, creating a fashion line, or doing design and printing for other people. As they advance, students create a business models, budgets and marketing campaigns for their products or services.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Style Shop Volunteer is looking for volunteers with great communication skills to instruct middle-school and high-school students in the many different areas of fashion. Knowledge of Photoshop, screen printing, and/or fashion design is preferred. The Style Shop Volunteer should be patient and have an enthusiasm for learning. Some experience working with middle-school and high-school students in a classroom environment is helpful.
COMMITMENT: All Workshop Houston volunteers must undergo a background check and complete volunteer orientation. Program hours are generally on Monday through Friday, from 4:30PM to 7PM. We ask that our volunteers agree to commit to at least 6 hours per month. Workshop Houston does not sign off on court-mandated or disciplinary community service hours.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Volunteer Coordinator.
- Complete a background check.
- Participate in volunteer orientation and complete training specifically pertaining to your volunteer job.
- Attend volunteer meetings when scheduled.
- Build mentoring relationships with the students through open communication.
- Keep staff informed about volunteer experience, job assignments, or any concerns you may have regarding the program.
- Satisfaction of helping youth to meet their personal goals and be successful students.
- A chance to contribute to your community.
- Meeting new people who bring differences in culture, ability, skill.
- Participating in a successful program with other active, interesting volunteers.
- Encouragement and recognition for your efforts.
- Have fun!
- Interior / Exterior Design
- Visual Arts
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of six hours per month